WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Fusee Marble Clock Made in England - Finished and hung at home 1-15-15 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1736
posted
Any idea where a clock like this would have spent it's life in service?

This thing is big, about 20" X 20" and weighs about 40 pounds. All the brass numbers and markers are in place with original hardware.

The mechanism is in great condition.

Even though this is a Fusee, it doesn't seem to be that old to me.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
Pendulum mount

If anyone can steer me to parts or illustrations for me to build parts...

edit: (this is where it all began...)

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1902
posted
Hi Paul, I do know that with regard to English pottery anything having " MADE IN ENGLAND " stamped or embossed was produced after 1902. Therefore not Victorian.

The ten years prior just " ENGLAND " was used.

These were statutory requirements so it would seem logical that it also applied to other fields such as clocks.

Hope this is some help.

Mike

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
IHC Member 1736
posted
Thanks Mike,

For some reason, I associate Fusee with much earlier pieces... but the fasteners on the markers give me a gut feel that these are post 1900 as well.

IHC Member 1736
posted
I found a Hershede suspension spring bracket through Time Savers and was able to work it down on my lathe to fit this clock.

I used the old auction photos to figure my spring lenght. (the original bracket was there when I bought the clock but was lost by the auction house in delivery.)

As soon as I hung the pendulum, the clock took off running. I backed off the weight adjustment two turns, shimmed one side of the case up 1/8 inch and she is keeping time like a champ.

I found it interesting to read that these (or similar fusee) clocks sold through 1970 because the fusee movement is a better time keeper than the platform escapement clocks.

With a 20 inch dial, it is fun to watch the minute hand travel... it is large enough to see the minute hand move with each tick.

Now that I know she runs... she will be in line for a complete COA/restoration.

IHC Member 1736
posted
Wow, after plenty of years of oil and a few years in the back corner of the barn, she was a bit overdue for some TLC

IHC Member 1736
posted
It took me a bit to figure out how to hook and unhook the chain and figure out that the locked gear on the front was an assembly/disassembly aid to pre-load the main spring... but other than that, pretty straight forward.

IHC Member 1736
posted
I hand washed the front and back plates, and used my ultrasonic sink for the first time on the balance of the parts.

IHC Member 1736
posted
Thank you to those that posted on how to clean, inspect and oil a fusee chain.

IHC Member 1736
posted
The box is a home grown project by someone familiar with cabinet making. I took it apart, reinforced it and repainted it to fit my decor. Cheryl spent a couple hours on the marble working around the brass markers to retain the patina.

IHC Member 1736
posted
The more Cheryl and I toyed with this project, the more attached we got to it.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Wow! That looks great. I would never have thought to paint it. What kind of wall anchor did you use?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1725
posted
Really nice Paul, looks like it is right at home with control over the room.

Looks great, thanks for posting.

Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Paul,

That is quite nice ...and I'm jealous of anyone with a sun drenched yard!

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 1902
posted
Great job Paul. Well done.

Mike

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
IHC Member 1736
posted
Thanks guys,

Dave, The box is 1/2" plywood with mitered corners and router-ed reliefs for the marble face, the back panel and then again router-ed and inset rear inspection panel and a trap door in the bottom for pendulum access. Whom ever made the box had a lot of experience with cabinet making.

The entire clock is mounted with a flat brass plate flush set to the back of the box with four screws and leaving a single eye just above the top of the box. I had to find a stud in the wall, drilled in to the stud and set a 3/8"X3" "round head lag screw" in to the stud...

Because the brass plate is at the top of the back panel and the weight of the clock is supported by the case... I didn't trust the finish nails and glue on the box corners to hold the weight of the marble and movement sunk in to the front... so, I added the steel L brackets or plates on all four sides to give the box some structural rigidity.

I don't know if this clock was originally built in to a wall or alcove? or what.. but since I was dealing with a home built box anyway, I had no reservations about taking some artistic liberties with it.

The general theme through my house is craftsman or mission style... so, a bit of exposed bracketry works just fine.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
You really did a fine job on the cabinet as well as the clock. I never really saw a good picture of it before you started. But, what I did see, I never believed it would turn out like it did. Excellent work.

Maybe you need this to go with your decor? Local pickup only!!

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1736
posted
My girl is convinced that brown is not a color... That is why the white marble clock received a bronze and forest green treatment.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Hey, you can paint it any color you want! But I'd hate to cover up quarter sawn oak.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1892
posted
Nice job on this clock Paul. You mentioned the accuracy of this clock. I have only one fusee clock and it is pre 1850 (I think). It is as accurate as any clock I have! Enjoy

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013