Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

HAID MANTLE CLOCK ADVICE... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

We received the following question today. You'll see my response below it. Anyone who agrees, disagrees or has anything to ad including information, care and feeding of a Haid Mantle Clock be sure to participate!

On Monday, March 29, 2004, at 03:57 PM, MARTIN A------- wrote:

I WAS HOPING YOU COULD HELP ME:
MY WIFE HAS INHERITED A HAID MANTLE CLOCK. THE CLOCK HAS A LOSS OF ABOUT 5 MIN/DAY. HOW DO I ADJUST IT? THERE ARE 2 POINTERS ON THE LIMITER (THE TIC-TOCK THING) AND I HAVE TRIED MOVING THEM TO NO RESULT. I CAN'T FIND ANY ADDITIONAL ADJUSTMENTS. MY
E-MAIL IS ------------@HOTMAIL.COM IF YOU CAN HELP OF SUGGEST A SITE.

THANK YOU,

MARTIN A-------

Hello Martin,

Generally speaking if you lengthen the pendulum or rod that will slow the clock. If you shorten it that speeds up the movement. Again generally speaking you turn clockwise from the bottom to shorten and anti-clockwise to lengthen. Since I am not specifically familiar with "Haid" clocks your question and my response will be posted on our "Clocks, Including 400-Day Discussions" area of "Horological Conversations, Questions and Answers" to be found at...

Please accept our standing invitation to enter our Discussion Site and participate...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/

You might want to consider service at some point. We could probably recommend someone. I'm sure others will comment on this as well. If you can supply a picture we would all enjoy seeing it.

Call me personally (440) 461-0167 at your convenience.

Lindell V. Riddle, Founder and President
NAWCC Internet Horology Chapter 185 of the
National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors

NAWCC Life Member Number 253-150074
Member of Chapters 6, 10, 28, 37, 62, 111, 168, 174 and 185
Chapter 185 proudly Co-Hosts the NAWCC North-Coast Regional in March.

On-Line Meeting: http://www.nawcc-ihc.org/

eMail Address: nawcc-ihc@adelphia.net

Phone: (440) 461-0167

Smile

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
A picture of the clock would help. I am not familiar with Haid clocks. Regulating devices can vary. Some are regulated through the dial, while others are done by adjustment of the pendulum.

Is this a weight or spring driven clock? If the clock has not been used in a long time, the spring could be set and not be providing power as required.

Age of the clock and condiation would also yield clues.

I will be happy to help, but feel like I need more info before I can be very helpful.

I will be out of town from Wed. to Sunday, so if I do not reply immediately, it is not from lack of interest.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Additional Haid Mantle Clock Information...

Date: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:05:02 PM US/Eastern
To: nawcc-ihc@adelphia.net

Mr. Riddle,

First of all, thank you for the rapid reply. The clock does not have a pendulum,
but has a horizontal wheel that moves in alternating direction. It has a vertical
shaft that has light springs on it.

The things I think are adjustments are two pointers that slide in rotation onto
markings on the circumference of the wheel. I have moved them both directions
without a change in time loss. I failed to mention before that I have lubricated
the clock with silicone and light machine oil at the axle pivit points.

Thank you for your time, I do intend to visit your website.

Martin Albright

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
It sounds like this clock has a floating balance escapement. If that is true, likely the movement is a Hermle. The F/S adjustment mentioned is probably correct. If the adjusting mechanism has been moved to the limits of operation without affecting the rate on the clock, weight can be added or removed from the balance wheel. This is a process I would not recommend for a beginner, novice or even my worst enemy. The floating balance should never be lubricated and lubrication may hamper proper operation of the clock. Hermle discontinued the use of the floating balance some years ago. (I had heard that it was a patent dispute) A good portion of these movements are reaching the age that they are simply worn out. The normal solution is replacement with a new movement, which will have a more conventional balance unit. I thought I had a photo to post of a floating balance, but I could not find it.
If a photo of the movement is not available, can we know all of the characters stamped on the back plate of the clock movement?
Best Regards,
Dick Feldman

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002