Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What is this Chelsea Movt From? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Someone gave this to me a few weeks ago and I can't tell what it was used for. It is apparently geared to run eight days. It has a Swiss platform escapement with Breguet hairspring and Incabloc shock protection. The center post with thumb screw looks like it's for holding some kind of cover in place. It has a lever for hand winding. Also a set of anti-backlash gears driven from the MS barrel. 2 shafts protruding from the top plate: 1 is from the anti-backlash gearset and the other from the pinion of the 2nd wheel.

What the heck is it?

Thanks!

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted

IHC Life Member
posted

IHC Member 1736
posted
The shafts look like they might take a roll pin to hold a gear... I'm curious if it is a timing mechanism rather than a clock.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Life Member
posted
Paul,

Yes, that's kind of what I think too, but I didn't think it was more gears ...maybe going to some kind of actuators. Both shafts would have plenty of torque so maybe even timed drives for some kind of positioning of a telescope or ....??? So maybe more gears? Someone here must know!

William

IHC Life Member
posted
Ok. I think I just figured out what it's from: I believe it's the drum movement from a vintage recording barograph. This makes sense because the center shaft is finely machined to accept bearings inside the drum.

William

IHC Member 1736
posted
This one is close, but not quite... Same general idea though... the devices are designed to measure data against time and provide a written record.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012