Internet Horology Club 185
What is this Chelsea Movt From?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886029761/m/5693929487

March 22, 2015, 15:26
William D. White
What is this Chelsea Movt From?
Someone gave this to me a few weeks ago and I can't tell what it was used for. It is apparently geared to run eight days. It has a Swiss platform escapement with Breguet hairspring and Incabloc shock protection. The center post with thumb screw looks like it's for holding some kind of cover in place. It has a lever for hand winding. Also a set of anti-backlash gears driven from the MS barrel. 2 shafts protruding from the top plate: 1 is from the anti-backlash gearset and the other from the pinion of the 2nd wheel.

What the heck is it?

Thanks!

William

March 22, 2015, 15:26
William D. White

March 22, 2015, 15:27
William D. White

March 22, 2015, 15:27
William D. White

March 23, 2015, 17:58
Paul D. Trombley
The shafts look like they might take a roll pin to hold a gear... I'm curious if it is a timing mechanism rather than a clock.
March 24, 2015, 03:45
William D. White
Paul,

Yes, that's kind of what I think too, but I didn't think it was more gears ...maybe going to some kind of actuators. Both shafts would have plenty of torque so maybe even timed drives for some kind of positioning of a telescope or ....??? So maybe more gears? Someone here must know!

William
March 24, 2015, 04:21
William D. White
Ok. I think I just figured out what it's from: I believe it's the drum movement from a vintage recording barograph. This makes sense because the center shaft is finely machined to accept bearings inside the drum.

William

March 24, 2015, 12:41
Paul D. Trombley
This one is close, but not quite... Same general idea though... the devices are designed to measure data against time and provide a written record.