• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bushings. Bonze or Brass? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have been using brass bushings and I am getting ready to order some replacement bushings. Now my question is with bronze bushings being only a bit more in price why would anyone use the softer brass bushings? I realize the brass bushing might be easier for a new guy such as myself to broach out and smooth up with the hand tools. New question just popped into my mind! Would my broaches be ok to use on bronze? Or would I need new broaches? I have not seen any listing that suggest different broaches for Bronze and Brass!
I was ready to place an order but now I will slow down a bit and see what you folks have to say.

Are the bronze bushings easy to destinguish from the brass if I mix them in the same box as the brass? Or should I start another bushing assortment kit.
As always I value your input and thank you for your help.
Bob

Posts: 46 | Location: Van Wert, Ohio in the USA | Registered: January 21, 2006
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I have always used the brass, but I have some friends who used the bronze, and then switced back to brass.

There are some issues with bronze, but, I am not certain what they are. Someone, I am sure, can fill in the technical details.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks Tom.
I went ahead and place my order for the Brass. I am some what comfortable using them and I can always purchase the bronze later.

Hope to hear some comments from the bronze users.
Bob

Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Hi Lads:
I have used both and have had no problems with either option. You can use the same broaches for both and I haven’t noticed a difference in difficulty to broach the harder material.
When I fix a clock that exhibits significant wear, I will use the bronze to extend the life of the bushing.
gp

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
Robert,some of the repair folks like to use the bronze bushings on the second wheel pivots because of the harder alloy and I know some folks like to use those bronze bushings on some of those large grandfather clock pivots.Personally I think that if you do a competent job of polishing your pivots which would include burnishing then brass bushings will work just fine.My own humble opinion.
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
posted
Grant.
I would have thought the bronze would have a completely different feel to them? But I have never used a bronze bushing. Just got my feet wet with brass bushings. Big Grin Thank you for your comments.

Bob.
I see your point on the second wheel getting replaced with bronze by some. Of the four clocks (my entire clock repair career) Big Grin I have had to put bushing into three of the four had bad pivot holes for the second wheel.
As for the Grandfather clocks I have yet to inspect one up close. Possibly tomorrow. I am going to an auction and possibly bid on one.
Thanks again for the reply Robert.
Bob

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
I personaly use brass as I would rather have bushing wear than pivot wear.

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
posted
I never looked at it from that point of view Greg.
Thanks
Bob

posted
I've heard it said that Bronze bushes are cosmetically undesirable and presumably lower the value of a piece.
Personally I like to give a pivot the best running conditions possible.
All pivots wear as the bush, brass or bronze, picks up dirt and grinds away the pivot.Maybe bronze being harder picks up less and wears the pivot less, but I'm not sure if this is proven.
The color difference is striking however. Here's a pic for you to judge.

Peter

Posts: 110 | Location: Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK | Registered: June 03, 2006
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...BRASS over bronze for my $...easier on the pivots...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
posted
I'm told by some who have studied the issue that the oxide layer that forms on bronze is more abrasive than that for brass, with the result being that brass is easier on pivots. While my own observations are few, the pivots in bronze-bushed clocks I've seen are, indeed, in poor condition. I've also been told that lightly broaching BOTH types of bushing is done to remove the oxide layer - this seems to make sense.

Posts: 3 | Location: Salt Spring Island, BC Canada | Registered: March 20, 2005