Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ansonia Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I am trying to date an Ansonia clock that I picked up today. I was unable to locate any type of label on the case. The movement is Marked Ansonia Clock Company New York. I found an ink stamp on it that says mineral point.

Also, this clock has an alarm feature. Can someone tell me how to set the alarm..

Any thought or tidbits would be greatly appreciated..

Ansonia Clock

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Picture #2 The alarm

Bruce Byrd

alarm

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Bruce,
I could not find your exact model, but I think there is enough information to get pretty close to the date.

The clocks on the page below are 1883. This is consistent with the marking on your clock. The Ansonia Clock Co, NY dates from 1878-1929.

I was common practice for kitchen clocks and black mantles to mix and match pieces. The clocks on this page have many of the same elements as yours. I would guess yours is dated a bout 1883 as are the others on this page.
hope this helps.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Bruce,
To set the alarm on your kitchen clock.
Rotate the disc in the center of the dial (rotate clockwise only). That disc rotates with the hour hand as the clock runs and will slip on the hour tube when setting the alarm. The disc is marked 1-12 and the increments are 1 hour each. Align the number on the disc that corresponds with the amount of time between now and the desired alarm time with the hour hand on the clock. For instance, if you want the alarm to go off in one hour, the number 1 on the alarm setting disc should be behind the clock hour hand.
These alarms are not real accurate, but were good enough for timing bread when baking with a wood fired oven. It would also probably be accurate enough for your use today, if that was all you had. Remember that the alarm is a 12 hour device. If you set the alarm to fire at 3 PM and the main spring on the alarm mechanism does not wind all the way down, the alarm may go off again at 3 AM. It seems there is always enough residual power in the alarm main spring to do that.
When setting the time on these clocks, it is important to rotate the minute hand clockwise only. The cam on the alarm setting disc will not tolerate being rotated counter clockwise. If this has been done, likely the lever that follows the cam has already been bent. If the lever has been bent, the alarm will not function.
From your photos, it seems your clock case is walnut and the trim on the clock is nickeled, rather than being plain brass. (the dial bezel, the pendulum, etc.) This makes your clock rather unique. I have always been partial to the Ansonias with nickeled parts. I hope you enjoy your new find and that the alarm does not wake you in the middle of the night.
Best Regards,
Dick Feldman

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Dick,

Thanks for the information on the clock. I have embarked on a mission of slowly but surely driving my better half crazy with my new found 2nd hobby (1st being my pocket watches). One of the ways in which I am driving her crazy is by winding the alarm mechanism and just letting it run until it went off.. This morning at about 0445.. Man, did I get a serious case of stink eye from my wife Smile The clock looks very close to the Arizona model with a few tweaks.. Thanks again

Bruce Byrd

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Many of us came into horological collecting with a narrow interest, say pocket-watches and are expanding our view to discover how great it is to have these great old clocks ticking away in our homes and offices.

Just another facet of the "something new we learn every day" which is a big part of the fun.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002