• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Welch calendar regulator "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Just bought a Regulator with a calendar on the main dial this weekend and want to find out all I can about it. It is time only, no strike. Wood is oak with designs around the perimeter of the dial and the box at the bottom.

The remnants of a label on the back has "...LCH"
so I'm guessing its a Welch. Looks to be a good refinish, except the hinge is weak (the bezel/glass drops ~ an inch or so when you open it). The paper dial is a replacement that was not done very well. Got a new dial ordered from SLarose.

There is no door and the back looks to be nailed shut... how do you get in this thing.

The calendar is on the right day, but just in case, how do you set the calendar if it gets off.
It is keeping time tick for tock with my grandfather, and the calendar hand has moved toward 13th in the last hour or so. It didn't seem to be moving earlier in the day.

Lastly, the octagon surround looks to be nicely refinished, but it was put back on canted to the right. Is this screwed on from the back?

Sorry for all the questions. New toy excitement.

Thanks, Charlie

HOLD IT ! HOLD IT ! The calendar hand just jump to the 13th ( about 6 mins early).

clock pic

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Charlie,
Calendar clocks are nice additions to a collection. Most simple calendars are set just by moving the hand with your finger. You will notice that it moves with a "click" for each day. If it does not readily move, then it is probably getting ready to change. The pin on the cam that moves the hand is engaged. It does this slowly. You just have to wait for the date change to move it further.

The way into the clock is to remove the hands and dial.
I will check the books I have to see if I can come up with a positive ID.

Great looking clock!!!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Charlie,
It appears to be a Sessions. that pattern on the pendulum bob was typical of Sessions. Two models had that type of molding. One was 32.5 inches high (1908) and called the "Star Pointer." The other was 38.5 inches high and appears in Trans' book to be a light colored finish. It was made for the spanish market and called "Crescent No.8" (1915)

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
One more day and the calendar seems to be working as you described.

Thanks for all the info Tom. This one is 32.5"

Any guess as to the "INTE" or "INTB" at label top.
Charlie

[This message was edited by crsides on October 13, 2003 at 22:51.]

Label on back

posted
Pic of back

back of regulator

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Obviously from the label I was wrong about it being a Sessions. Although there is a sessions that is identical to it.

This one is an E.N. Welch. The letters at the top of the dial are the ending of "STAR POINTER".

I appears to be identical to the Sessions "Star Pointer" except for the pendulum. The pendulum bob is not like yours, but rather smooth. I will try to scan both and post them.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Sessions

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Welch

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The "fish tail" or fan shaped end of the calendar hand is not shown in the pictures, but is shown used by Welch as a calendar pointer on some double dial calendar clocks. New Haven used the that style on some of their calendar clocks similar to yours. Probably others did also.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

posted
Obviously Welch had a big influence on the Sessions. I would match it up as a Sessions also, except for the label.

Some kind of transition maybe?

Definately a Star Pointer. A real sexy name for a clock, but why Star Pointer... I don't get it.

Looking at the prices on the scans, I sense I overpaid.

Thanks again for your help, Tom.

Charlie

posted
STAR POINTER

I think I figured out the connection.

To navigate by the stars (which would have been popular in those days) you have to know the TIME and the DATE.

posted
In 1903 the Sessions brothers who worked for the Welch Co. took over the defunct E.N. Welch business. They stopped production of the high end Welch clocks but continued to produce many of the lower priced ones.This clock had to be produced very near the transition date. Check the movement if it is signed by Welch then you probably have a Welch clock, if the movement is signed Sessions then you would have a early transition clock possibly using a left over case. JACK

Posts: 25 | Location: Centereach, New York, USA | Registered: May 18, 2003
posted
Jack, Welcome to the IHC #185 Chapter Site Wink

Mike Nardick
NAWCC # 144409
IHC Charter Member 26
Member Allegheny Chapter 37
mikena32@comcast.net

Posts: 267 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002