Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seth Thomas Mini Beauty "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This clock is part of the Will Roseman collection that is visiting my shop at the moment.

While this looks pretty much like an average clock at first glance, a closer look makes is a real treasure. The detail and quality is a cut above.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
One of the real attractions of this clock is its size. From the first picture you can't relly tell, but here next to a Seth Thomas sonora you can see that its small size, only 9.5 inches, makes it quite attractive.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The dial is porcelain and the glass is convex and beveled.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
It appears to be the Essex model from around 1913.
This picture is from Tran's Seth Thomas book.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The 48J movement was first shown in the 1917 catalogue.

If there is interest, I will take some pictures of the movement when I get it out of the case.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The movement is a nice compact little round time and strike movement. It appears at first that it has springs in barrels, but actually they are in round "boxes".

Tom

posted
Hi Tom,
I just serviced a 48R movement from a ballon cased "Savoy" c1905. The pendulum had a cylindrical bob (brass) approx. 3/4" in diameter and 1 1/2" long. The overall length of the complete pendulum was approx. 6".
I would like to know your thoughts on the tension spring that rides on the center arbor.
Regards,

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Joe,
I don't have the movement out of the case yet. I have a couple of clocks to get to before this one. When I do get it out, I will take a look at what you are referring to. It has been too long since I have done one of these movements to remember exactly what you are asking about. As soon as I get it out I will take some pictures and we can discuss it from there.

This clock did not have the cylindrical bob, but rather the traditional disc. I will also include a picture of that when I get it on the bench.

Do you have any pictures of the 48R?

Tom

Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Hi Tom:
Nice clock. Great dial. What $ does Tran put on these?
gp

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Tran's book has it at $325.00

Tom

posted
Tom,

I only took one picture of the 48R movement which was a picture of the tension spring I mentioned in the earlier post. Below is a picture of the clock along with the picture of the spring. Like your clock this "Savoy" has beveled, convex, lense.

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
That looks interesting. Offhand I can't think of what it might be for. I will let you know what the 48J has when I get it apart.

Tom

Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Hi Tom:
Great timing for this topic. Here is one I picked up today from a gent in our club. He tells me he thinks itis the Tudor?? Can you check in your book for me? Looks similar to yours, but notice the top is rounded and the case appears much more thin walled.
Best regards,
Grant

Grant Perry

c

Picture of Grant Perry
posted
case

Grant Perry

case

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Grant, How tall is that one?

Tom

Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Hi Tom:
The case is 8.75 inches.
Best regards,
Grant

Grant Perry

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Grant,
You do indeed have the "Tudor".
Here is the info from Tran's Seth Thomas book.

Tom

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Joe, Is your photo of the inside of the back plate?

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
posted
Yes Tom, the spring is inside and bears on the center arbor as shown. One of the guys on the Green board said it was to keep the slack under control so it will be as accurate the first 30 minutes of the hour as it is the last 30. Makes sense as there is almost 2 minutes slack in the one I worked on. The center arbor is not "in" the drive train it is along side of it. The only preassure it is subjected to is that required to drive the motion work.

Joe

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Here is an update on this cute little clock.

It is perking away keeping great time.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
back.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Strike train

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
both trains

Joe, this one does have the bar type spring riding on the center post. I would imagine it is, as ws mentioned, to keep any play out of the minute hand as it changes from before and after halfway points around the dial.

Tom