Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Howard Miller Clocks?? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 274
Life Member 27
Picture of Jack Goldstein
posted
My wife came home today, she knows that I have been looking for an authentic regulator clock for our living room. She drags me to one of those football field size furniture stores to show me this clock, brand new, that she found.
Anyway this place carries the "Howard Miller" clocks, I've never seen them before and I'll be danged, they looked really nice. The big grandfather clocks go for as much as $2500.00.
She took me to a wall clock, real hard wood, 4 foot long, glass on 3 sides, weight driven, with absolutely beautiful polished brass dual weights.
The movement appears really nice, 2 year warrantee, but what do I know, I live behind a gold center wheel in a 16S Ball 999 pocket watch.
They want around $600.00 for this what I would call a jewelry store regulator looking clock.
Can someone tell me what I was looking at. Is "Howard Miller" a good name in mechanical clocks??
Thanks,
Jack

Jack Goldstein
NAWCC 0152932
IHC 185 #274
http://www.ball-rr-pocketwatches.com

Posts: 465 | Location: Tontitown, Arkansas USA | Registered: July 25, 2003
Picture of David Fahrenholz
posted
Howard Miller is a good company to purchase from and they do provide fine service. They use good quality Hermle or Keininger movements.

Viele Grüße

David Fahrenholz
Fahrenholz Clock & Watch
Timeless Service

David Fahrenholz

Posts: 52 | Location: Fishers, Indiana USA | Registered: June 24, 2003
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Our local store that sells Howard Miller clocks is a music store that is going out of business now. They have a lot of grandfather clocks, and most of them are in the $2,000 to $4,000 range after clearance discount. The one huge model lists for $13,000, I think. They have a small camelback type of mantel clock for around $800, so I am not sure if these prices are true list price or not. The large grandfather clock has triple chimes that are "sequential", and I understand that to mean that it plays all 3 tunes in order. Normally you select one tune, and listen to it until you manually change to another. I thought this was a good idea, more like a clock tower might be where they play different tunes each hour. The thing I notice is that for the size of the case, the movement does not look as large as you might expect. Then again, I am use to seeing a Hershede, and their movements are HUGE. The tune barrel on the Hershede is about 1 1/2" diameter by about 10" long. The Howard Miller is about 3/4" diameter and about 3" long. The movement on the Hershede is at least twice as large as the Howard Miller. I think right now some of the older clocks are a much better deal than a new discounted clock. Not to degrade the Howard Miller any, but if you bought an older clock, it may hold it's value and even go up. The $600 price you mention does sound like a good price, but it depends on the size of it.

I have also noticed on the MB that repairmen suggest to just replace the movements on these newer clocks rather than repair them. I am not sure if this is a quality/durability issue, or if it has to do with repair cost. In my way of thinking, a 20 year old clock should not have to have it's movement thrown away.

Andy

The International 400 Day Clock Chapter 168.
The Internet Horology Chapter 185 nawcc-ihc.org

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Jack,
I just got my new Howard Miller Catalogs and price sheets today. Since I am not a HM dealer, I only have the retail sheets. If you let me know what the model number is on the clock, I can tell you what suggested retail is.
I just bought a Hermle 241-840/75 (replacement)movement, which is near what that wall clock will take. The movement cost $93.00 delivered from Butterworth. Those weights will run somewhere near $50.00 a pair. You then have to buy a case, the means to support the movement, dial, hands and pendulum.
I don't know if $600 is a bargain or not, but if you built the thing from pieces, it wouldn't cost that much less.
Best of luck,
Dick Feldman

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
You live behind a antique pocket watch,I live behind antique regulators. I would not go and buy a quartz movement pocket watch from Kmart any more then you should be buying a Howard Miller. Look for 2000 to 8000 range you can buy a nice tall case (grandfather)or regulator. In 10 years the movement in the miller will be scrap along with the value of the clock while the antique will be worth more and the movement will still be good. Same with the watch from kmart will be worth 0 while a good mech. pocket watch will increase in value..Your choice...

Doug Barr
NAWCC Member 91585
Chapter 185 Member 313

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Well said Doug!

It's the old "You Get What You Pay For" and quality workmanship will always prevail.

Go with the real deal Jack!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 274
Life Member 27
posted
Thank you all very much. I may just be a bit further from finding my perfect wall regulator than I was before. While looking I'm seeing and learning more every day. I just discovered an antique clock shop, not 4 hours from where I live and its owned by a very nice 72 year young man. So when I find a helper to drive, that's my next stop. When I make a decision, or need more help I'll be back posting again. One thing is for sure, and why I thought it would be any different I don't know, but the more I learn, the less I realize I know.
Regards, Jack

Jack Goldstein
NAWCC 0152932
IHC 185 #274

IHC Member 274
Life Member 27
posted
Thanks for everybody's help, before I bought this great Chelsea Ball. It's one of only 600 that were made for Railroad service.
I'm happy as I can be. In the future, from what I've learned and seen, I can spend way, way, less money and get some beautiful clocks. But at least now, I have what I started out to find, a genuine Webb C Ball, RR, regulator clock!
THANKS to everybody who has helped me on the search, with advice, knowledge, and other options. I now feel good about my decision.
Regards, Jack Big Grin

Jack Goldstein
NAWCC 0152932
IHC 185 #274

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I would have to agree about the quality of Howard Miller clocks. If you are looking for a new clock they are a good company to look at.

However, if you are into antiques, and appreciated the older clocks, then for about the same price you can get an antique that will continue tom increase in value.

Rectangular regulators by Sessions, Ingraham and others are not hard to find at marts and antique stores.

The new movements are made with thinner brass and softer steel and "repair" is not reccommended as much as "replace". The older movements will by far outlast the newer ones.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
You got a winner in that one my friend.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
Nice clock ..being from Cleveland O. there is all ways a soft spot for the Ball Co.

Doug Barr
NAWCC Member 91585
Chapter 185 Member 313

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004