• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bank Vault Time Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
my friend has a wind up working clock that looks like it is from an ond vault. does anyone know where i can find pictures of these type of clocks
thanks
marty

Martin Bergman

Posts: 42 | Location: Garrison New York, USA | Registered: December 27, 2005
posted
Hi Martin,
Here's a picture of one of the more common (relatively speaking) bank timers out there. Is this the one your friend has?

http://www.antiqueclockspriceguide.com/pages/clock4746.php

I assume since you refer to it as a "clock" it's not a vault door timelock like this:

http://www.aagaines.com/clocks/bvtime.htm

If you are interested in vault door timelocks, there was a great series of 3 articles in the Bulletin in the late 60's or early 70's. (I can tell you exactly which issues when I get home.) There was also a great series in the AWI Horological Times, I think in the 80's. (I also have copies of these at home.)

As far as bank timers, I haven't found much information other than brief mentions in the Bulletin over the years.

Posts: 331 | Location: Camarillo, California USA | Registered: May 03, 2005
posted
it is the second one vault door time lock without the case. thanks Dave .
marty

Martin Bergman

posted
James W. Gibbs wrote a very detailed 3 part series of articles on timelocks for the Bulletin. These appear in Whole Numbers 114, 115 and 118 (February, April, October 1965). If you can't get ahold of these issues, I can copy the articles and mail them to you if you are interested.

In the late 1980's and early 1990's, David Christianson wrote a series of articles describing pretty much each type of timelock out there with detailed repair techniques. If you let me know which model your friend has, I can dig that specific article out and mail a copy of the article to you.

I've been meaning for awhile now to share photos of a couple of interesting timelocks in my collection. One is a Yale #1 timelock with E. Howard movements. The other is a Duplex Electric Company Bank Vault Alarm System that is driven by an Illinois movement. I'll try to get some photos posted sometime this weekend.

posted
this one has only one of the two clocks and no markings or case. the clock works well and at certain times will trip levers. the levers are missing . but it came with two time adjusting rods and assorted springs and screws. I'll try and get a picture of it and send it to you
thanks
for all your help
marty

Martin Bergman

posted
I've put photos of my Duplex Electric Bank Vault Local Burglar Alarm System in the "Timekeepers Photo Galery" section. This one is sort of a cross between clocks and watches as it uses both an Illinios watch movement and a Seth Thomas #10 clock movement.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Very nice and informative set of pictures Dave. I have a couple of the "bank vault timer" clocks somewhere in the basement. I may have to dig them out and see what I have.

Also, thanks for the Bulletin reference. I will re-read that one as well.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Someone who saw this post last week asked me for more details on the David Christianson articles. So, I dug them out this weekend and here is the list of Horological Times issues that contain the articles:

May 1989 - Timelocks (Part 1)
September 1989 - Mosler Time Lock Movements (Illinois), Part 1
October 1989 - Mosler Time Lock Movements (Modern), Part 2
March 1990 - A Diebold Vault Timelock
June 1990 - Yale & Towne Timelocks, Part 1
July 1990 - Yale & Towne Timelocks, Part 2
February 1991 - 72-hour E. Howard Timelock Movements and Variations
March 1991 - jewelling Techniques and Miscellaneous Notes on Restoration
April 1991 - The Victor Banker's Dustproof Timelock Movement
May 1991 - Sargent & Greenleaf Timelock Movements (antique), Part 1
June 1991 - Sargent & Greenleaf Timelock Movements (modern), Part 2
July 1991 - Sargent & Greenleaf Timelock Movements (modern), Part 3
August 1991 - Timelock Movement Servicing
September 1991 - The Yale #1 Timelock, Part 1
October 1991 - The Yale #1 Timelock, Part 2
April 1992 - Sargent & Greenleaf Timelock Movements (modern), Part 4
May 1992 - Mosler Time Lock Movements (antique Waltham), Part 3
June 1992 - Timelocks - Resetting an Overwind
June 1993 - Sargent & Greenleaf Timelock Movements (antique), Part 5
July 1993 - Diebold Family (modern)
August 1993 - Argentinian Rench (with Kromer and Kumahara)
October 1993 - Hall's Safe & Lock Company's Lock Chronometer
April 1994 - A History of the Timelock Industry, Part 1
May 1994 - A History of the Timelock Industry, Part 2