Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Safe Way to Relocate Large Clocks "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
I need to move three large clocks to my house and need to know what must be done to each to ensure a safe trip. One is a grandfather clock about 7 feet tall and two are what I call hall clocks that are large (about 4 feel tall).

I know to remove the pendulum and weights, but is there anything else that should be done?

Would it be best to hire a professional company?

We have an open bed pick up and also access to a flat bed trailer with side panels.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
Remove fragile items like finials. Protect the glass with styrofoam, it's available in various thickness at the large Home Centers. Wrap each clock with a heavy blanket and secure with light rope, tape or bunge cords. Separate the weights and pendulums and wrap each individually.
If your pickup will accommodate all three clocks use that one. And two careful workmen. Good Luck.

Posts: 93 | Location: Cockeysville, Maryland in the USA | Registered: October 28, 2009
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Mary Ann, I am not an expert, however the pickup would be easier on the clocks, less bouncing around and with Vincent's suggestions I would say you will be fine.

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
My suggestion would be NO TRAILER Frown

Too much bounce on the trailers. I would like to have an extended cab or 3-4 door pickup to put the wall clocks in the back seat padded well & wrapped with blankets. The grandfather I would like to move lying down face up. If you have an eggshell foam type thin mattress, I would lay it on that, and cover with blankets. You need to wrap the clock first and secure the whole enchilada with string, rope, twine and than put it in the bed of the truck. You will need to secure it on all four corners from being able to slide or move around with rope.

If distance is greater than 25 miles, I would stop every 25 miles to see how things are riding. Hope that will help you to have a safe journey.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

All good advice, any trailer is a no, no, a long bed pickup is absolutely preferable, top of clock must be forward. Carefully remove pendulum and weights. Wind the clock and as you remove the weights use heavy rubber bands to hold everything in place. Put a piece of thin styrofoam or cardboard over the dial. Take masking tape and make several "X" designs on both sides of all glass and go around the borders, this minimizes vibration which can lead to breakage and if there is a crack it will at least restrain the glass. Wrap the pendulum, bob and weights in soft cloth, bath towels will do fine. Wrap the entire clock in furniture covers or blankets and after you set it in the truck bed jamb cardboard boxes all around the case which will help retain it in place.

Drive slowly and carefully, anticipate stops well in advance. When you get to the destination set the clock up as soon as you can, remove the masking tape as it can harden in hot weather. Be careful, careful, careful!

Let's see any additional suggestions.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
One more thought... If there are chains involved, run a wire or string through the upper most links to make sure they don't jump or fall off of the sprocket gears.

The woodwork and glass is probably the most fragile part.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
IHC Member 43
posted
I would also recommend putting the chime rods into a block of styrofoam to support them, they are easily damaged.

Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts and ideas! I am finding that there is quite a lot of prep work to do before even thinking of starting to move a clock!

When I do eventually get the clocks moved to our house, I will take pictures to post here.

Thanks, again! Smile

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
Well, it took a while, but we finally got the clocks moved! After Richard and my son, Rich, looked at them, it was decided to hire a professional moving company. Wink The man who disassembled the clocks was exceedingly careful, not even touching the pendulums with his hands. I was very pleased overall and all the clocks made the trip intact.

Two clocks are not pictured as my brother broke off the carved wooden base of one and it is being repaired. The other hasn't been hung yet and is an all wood clock with a rock as the pendulum. I'll try to post pictures of the two when they are eventually hung.

Below are a few pictures and what I do know of them. I have very little knowledge of clocks and the various types and styles. If anyone has information to share it will be most appreciated!

This is the grandfather clock. It was made by the Barwick division of Howard Miller which I have found are the less expensive clocks made by the company.

posted
The dial....

posted
Weights and pendulum...

posted
We always called this one the "saw" clock. The dial is marked Linden and it was made in Japan. I always liked this one as a kid.

posted
Close up of the dial...

posted
I call this one the Venice clock. I can't find any markings except R A on the pendulum. My mother put a note in it that said they bought it in Venice in 1977 and paid $175.00 US.

posted
The dial and pendulum...

posted
The last is a huge wall clock measuring about 5 feet tall. It was made by the Gazo Family Clock Factory sometime around 1974. I found online that they manufacture clocks with old world styling. I would like to know what type clock this is. There are several metal rods that strike something to create the tones. I call this one the rook because of the birds on the dial...

posted
Close up showing the rooks on the dial...

posted
Another showing the metal rods...

posted
Thanks for looking at my clocks! My parents were very fortunate to be able to travel the world and always brought back a clock of some kind from where ever they went.

If anyone can help me with the styles and types, I would greatly appreciate it!

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
The clock "the Rooks" as you call it is called a "free swinger",many were made by the great German clockmakers of old. the grandfather has what is called "a rolling moon dial",and the wall clock is a Vienna regulator style clock.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
Thank you very much, Tom! Big Grin