Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Geo. E. Fisher, London "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Got this one in for repair yesterday. I love these English clocks. Thought I would share.

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Close-up of top. Adam and Eve move.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This reply is really from Gordon MacDonald. He had some trouble posting the picture so I am attempting to help him out. His post is:

quote:
Hi Greg. I am restoring a similar clock, ( with lots of help). The false plate is marked Walker and Finnemore ( info on them says Birmingham 1808-11) I will try to include a pic of the very similar back plate, and the posts are identical. my weights are suspended on gut. On the face of the dial above center, very faint is Chas Tbui....r ..broath. Arbroath I presume.
I am using 7 1/2 pound weights, but I am having trouble with the strike side. Are the weights on that clock in this range and is the strike side heavier?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Good afternoon.
The weights are: Time = 14lbs., Strike = 14.9lbs
The false plate states: BIRMINGHAM
TRYANT

This has brass cables. I'm not sure what it would have been originally.

posted
Hi Tom,
As a general rule, the strike weight is always heavier. As well as driving the train, it also has to provide power to lift the hammer against its spring or counterweight, plus where appropriate, overcome whatever 'warning' and locking / unlocking mechanism which may be fitted. It also has to drive against the 'fly' governor.
A lot of 'grunt' needed to drive that lot! Smile

Greg, I believe clocks of that era would have had gut lines. A common problem with them being breakages, causing the affected weight to smash through the floor of the case!
I've seen quite a few fitted with bronze lines though ..... probably converted by their owners after being scared witless in the middle of the night by a cast iron weight belting the floor! (and subsequently having to change the bed sheets no doubt) Eek Big Grin Big Grin

Has the dial been refinished at some point? It looks much cleaner and less aged than the 'Adam & Eve' dial.
I've checked all my reference books (Loomes & Baillie) and can find no reference to a George Fisher in London at all.

There is recorded, a George Fisher(Frederick)M.D. USA for 1800, also George (Troy)USA 1837-46, another in Canada 1857-63 and interestingly, one for Birmingham (UK) 1850.
There are a few 'Fisher & Sons' but no sons named, so could be one of those.
I have other theories on the dial, but I'm saying nowt unless invited Big Grin

Best regards
John Woolsey

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
As far as the differences in the dials...I think you are seeing the contrast not only by the flash of the camera...which is very big now that you mention it, but also caused by the painting itself. I don't beleive it has been repainted, but feel free to add your opinions. I'm going to e-mail you a copy so that you can see it better.

It's going to be shipped to Martha Smallwood for cleaning and touch-up.

The case to this clock is pretty much unremarkable...of average quality.

posted
Hi Greg. Thanks for the info on the weights. Could you post a picture of the case. I only have the hood for mine. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 19 | Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada | Registered: July 16, 2004
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
I don't have the case. The customer is supposed to be having it restored while I do the movement. But, when I return the movement...I will try to remember to get a photo of it.

greg

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
My problem: the hand of eve, looks to move...however all of the linkage(on mine) is missing. I can't figure out what the linkage attaches to on the movement. I assumed that it attached to the seconds or possibly the strike, but don't see any sign of where it would.

John: Sorry I haven't gotten back to you...forgetful. But your e-mail was interesting and would, I think be benificial to the post. Thanks

posted
Hi Greg,
Are there any auxilliary gears on the motionwork, or somewhere on the calendar work that would drive the linkage?
If a link was pinned to a gear it would act like a crank. Hard to tell without seeing it, or knowing how fast the figures move so just guessing.

I'll post a copy of the Email regarding the clock info shortly.
Best regards
John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
From what I've seen of moving dial ornaments on old English bell strike GF's, they are usually linked to the verge. I imagine there are some that would in someway be linked to the strike so that they only move when the clock is striking. I haven't seen any of those though.

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Thought I would post a before and after re-touch.
The work was done by:
Kathi S. Edwards
Dial House II
1555 McGarity Rd.
Temple, GA 30179-2106
770-505-4417