Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

ANSONIA KITCHEN/SHELF "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I posted some pictures of my Ansonia kitchen clock on my web page:

http://home.att.net/~aejohn

Anyone know the name of this model? When I picked it up the top and the rest of the case parted company, been in the basement too long.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
John, I have looked in Tran Duy Ly's book on Ansonia clocks, and in the 1901 Ansonia Catalogue and did not find it in either place. There were many close relatives....similar styles.....but not the one you pictured. I'll keep looking in other sources. Maybe someone else has spotted it in another book.

NAWCC #41293
Internet Horology Chapter #104
Interim Exec. V.P. of IHC

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
John, I have also checked Gilbert, Sessions, Ingraham and New Haven books. All have clocks that have similar features. I could not, however, find any with the same drop finials as yours. Nor caould I find any with the coin-like medallion at the top. I figured those would be key features to track down a maker.
No luck so far. I'll get back to you if I come up with something further.
The movement sure doesn't look like it fits the case.

NAWCC #41293

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks for looking, I appreciate the help.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
John, I have also checked in a couple of books on Canadian clocks, but no luck. It is a common style, but none of the case details on your case match what I see in the books. I can't even see a glass that seems to match up with yours.

I'll still keep an eye out.

NAWCC #41293

posted
Thanks again, I do appreciate all the help. I took the movement out of the case yesterday and it definitely belongs with that case. It appears that sometime when it was serviced, the left side mounting holes were stripped and the movement was rotated just a bit in a clockwise direction on the lower right mounting screw to expose a new suface for the left hand screws. The holes were closed up with glued-in pegs and they match the holes in the mounting brackets perfectly. There is no indication that there ever was a screw in the upper right mounting bracket.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
John, I have noticed on some clocks that the mounting feet are held with a single rivit. These are often rotated to provide a fresh footing for the screw. The original alignment with the dial is not disturbed by doing that.
Some, however have two rivits and obviously cannot be turned. IIf the old holes were plugged with wood, it would probably be ok to put the screws back in their original position.

NAWCC #41293