Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seth Thomas Sonora 4 bell chime "Click" to Login or Register 
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
I bought this clock at a live auction. The seller was from North Canton Ohio.
I am not upset about the price no one held a gun to me raising my hand, however it was announced and presented as a circa 1875 clock, hence approx. 130 years old. Andy wrote in another forum, it was probably not that old. What say you?

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Hi Phillip:
Nice clock either way. I'll be watching for the expert opinion, but the dial leads me to believe that it would be 1930ish... JUST MY GUESS Smile
P.S. How does it run?
gp

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
Maybe I should stick to pocket watches. But wait... I don't know anything about them either. Thanks, Phil. Big Grin

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
Hey, I love the clock it runs and chimes beautifully. It just irritates me that it would be misrepresented by another NAWCC member. Confused

posted
Phil,
I believe Seth Thomas introduced the Sonora Chime clocks around 1910. These earlier models chimed on either 4 or 8 nested bells. (I think some of the 4-bell models also had a 5th bell for the hour strike.) At some point in the 1920's, the bells were replaced by chime rods. The bell strike models are more desireable (hence, valuable) than the rod strike models. So, I would probably place your clock somewhere between 1910 and 1925. These are indeed very nice clocks!

Posts: 331 | Location: Camarillo, California USA | Registered: May 03, 2005
posted
Tran's Seth Thomas reference guide describes the Seth Thomas Sonora's being offered for sale between 1909 to 1923 if that's any help to you.In my travels I've found that the four bell Sonora's usually sell between $425.00 to $550.00 depending on condition.The five bell Sonora's are slightly higher and the eight bell Sonora's can run anywhere from $1800.00 all the way up to $3000.00.The so called Sonora's on rods are very reasonable.They can usually be purchased anywhere from $150.00 to $180.00.Personally I think they're one of the best values around.They have a lovely resonance and they're very good timekeepers once they're overhauled.
All that being said I think you got yourself a lovely clock there.It looks to be in great condition.Whatever you paid for it will be far outweighted by the enjoyment that Sonora will give you when those beautiful bells chime the hour and quarter hours.Personally I think they're the nicest chime clock Seth Thomas ever manufactured.I own two of them and I love em both.Congratulations on your find.
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks guys, for your input, it all makes me feel a little better knowing it wasn't made last week.
And the chimes are beautifu. It chimes longer on the 1/2 hour than it does at the top of the hour.
Phil. Smile

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Sonoras are great clocks. It is the only clock I have chiming all the time in our house.

You may find THIS earlier discussion on Sonoras an interesting read.

Nice buy!!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Phil,
It should chime 4 notes on the quarter hour, 8 notes on the half hour, 12 notes on the 3/4 hour and 16 notes on the hour, and then strike the hours. If it is not chiming in that sequence, then it is out of sync. There are two levers on the back of the movement. One is for the hour strike and one is for the chime. The chime usually runs down before the strike train and the going train runs longer than the others. If you wait too long to rewind, the chime may have quit working. This will throw everything out of sync.

The Sonoras had no automatic syncing mechanism. You have to do it manually. I can send a picture to explain better if you like. It is sort of a pain to manually reset things, so I usually wind it twice a week, just to be sure everything stays as it should.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
Tom, The clock wound down on the way home from Cleveland. I didn't have enough clock savvy to tie everything down. I would appreciate it if you could send me the picture to reset it. Right now it just chimes in the wrong sequence, no hour strikes. Thanks so much for your assistance. Phil. Smile

posted
Re-adjusting the clock to the proper chime sequence could be just as easy as taking off the minute hand and re-configuring it.In other words if it's chiming eight bells at the 1/4 hour just remove the minute hand and point it at half past the hour.There is another way of correcting a Sonora that is out of sequence but since you're not a full blown clockie yet(It's just a matter of time,believe me Smile I would go with the simplest method.
The hour strike is controlled by the front movement.Usually a S.T.#89 with a countwheel.
If you're not getting an hour strike the first thing I would do is make sure it's wound.If it is and it still doesn't work you may have to remove the movement and give it a look see.It may be due for a cleaning and bushings.I will tell you that the #89 is a real workhorse.Probably the most popular movement ever manufactured by Seth Thomas.
Best of luck correcting your minor problems.It's certainly a lovely clock.

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
To adjust the chime and strike move the levers as indicated in the picture below. The chime movement has been removed for this picture to make it easier to see the levers.

Tom

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
Tom, piece of cake. Does that make me a full blown clockie as Bob suggests. Big Grin Hmmmm probably not. Thank you guys so much for your knowledge and assistance. Phil Smile

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Phil, you are definitely on the downhill side of a very slippery slope! Enjoy the ride!!

Tom

posted
Phillip, I think your clock was the 17'th item at the auction, if so, the seller states that your clock is a chime #16. Tran Duy Ly's Seth Thomas third edition volume 1 values the 4 bell version at $1000.00 & the 8 bell version at $2500.00. The one Tran shows is dated 1913. Hope this helps bring a little smile. Regards, George.

Posts: 30 | Location: Maple Heights, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
Thank you for that info, George. My grumbles were never really about the money, only about the date that was represented from the auction bench and as written by the seller. Confused However now the chimes hang up after a couple of cycles. Frown I will need to find a clock fixer upper. Is there somebody out there in clock land? Phil. Smile

posted
Phil,I,m sure in the great state of North Carolina there will be a multitude of competant clock repairers available to you but why don't you take the point of least resistance for the time being and get yourself a dispenser of clock oil,take both movements out of the case and put a few drops of oil on those pivots and maybe a little watch type mainspring grease on your hammer pins and other miscellaneous levers.This requires no dismantling of the movement proper and it will give you the opportunity to familiarize yourself with the two movements and check out the condition of the various pivot holes.Oiling is certainly no substitute for an overhaul but it may breath a little life into your clock until you're ready to have it looked at.

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks, Robert. I am two hours from everything, here in these mountains. Smile
However, I am going to pull those movements out of the clock. I already have clock oil and watch mainspring grease ordered. I will let you know how I make out. Wow, this forum is going to make me a clockie yet. Big Grin Thanks to every one that has helped me and read this thread. Phil.

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
posted
Well, pulled out the movements put the tiniest drop of oil in all of the little cuppie things Big Grin I could find. All of the chimes back in order it just won't strike the hour unless I do it manually. Something in there not pushing something else I presume. Still have a long way to go to become a true clockie. Smile

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Good effort Phillip! One of the things to check on a sonora is that the wires on the back of the main movment are on the corect side of the wires on the chime movement. It is tough to call without having it in hand, but that is a common problem with sonoras. The strike lever needs to be pushed down, so the activating lever on the chime movement needs to be above that lever. Very easy to have it go on the other side when putting it together.

Tom