Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Mystery Pegs on Westinghouse Stove Alarm Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I picked this up recently at an auction. I thought it was interesting from an advertising standpoint, but it also poses a mystery.

There are two pegs coming out of the back of the case. I have no clue as to what they might be for.

any ideas?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The dial

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The back of the movement showing the two pegs.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
When I took off the back, I found that the pegs connected to nothing at all.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Side view

Tom

posted
The winding keys seen in the side view look more like keys for other clocks: kitchen, mantle, etc. where the key is not attached to the movement. They seem to protrude farther than the usual alarm winders; the bulge in the middle of the alarm winder looks very strange. It might be worthwile to lookup the patent number on the dial.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
John,
The strange "knob" on the winding key puzzled me also. I have not had any luck with the patent number on the dial. I did however find THIS ebay item.

My guess is that a lever attached to that part of the winding arbor and turned when the alarm went off. The lever would then, I suppose, turn the range off.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
HERE is an ad from 1916. Not much information, but it shows a picture of the clock on the stove.

Tom

posted
Perhaps the lever striking the pins would shut off the alarm by stopping the unwinding of the spring; that would prevent the alarm from sounding until the spring ran down and driving the neighbors mad. I don't see an alarm shut off on the clock.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002