WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Here You Go Pics Tall Case English?-Movement/Etc ID??? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
I was able to get more pics of the Tall Case clock from previous post.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886029761/m/5341007522

Hopefully these pics might be able to ID if English and maybe date? Trying to decide on wheter to purchase or not. Needs some work and wondering as well if a clock like this comes around often. He wants $1550 and probably $200 to get it running. Advice/help very much appreciated, thanks.

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
posted

posted
Mark, I paid $1700 for this clock, which seems to have more condition issues than the one you're looking at, although mine was cleaned before I bought it, has all it's parts & runs well. I'm happy with it.

Here in Connecticut & RI, shops seem to ask at least $3000 for running English clocks in worse condition than yours appears to be; in good shape they start closer to $4000. That's for English of course; American tall case brass movement clocks start at twice that.

I've seen ebay clocks for about your price. This one was offered recently by a Cape Cod dealer for $1450, but that was 91" high, too tall for my ceiling. I suspect the height and shipping concerns were what kept it from selling.

Your dial appears to be in very good shape. The case has some issues, maybe more than I can see, but you'll have to pay a lot more if you want a clock that looks like it just left the maker's hand. As for the maker, it's my impression that except for famous makers, it doesn't much matter who made the clock as long as it's well made. I didn't know who or where mine was made until after I bought it; I'm still researching it. White painted dials like yours came into vogue in the 1770s, while the iron false plate that you have between the movement and dial disappeared around 1830. I'd guess your clock is early 1800s.

If you like the style of the clock, it fits under your ceiling, and you're reasonably sure it only needs a pendulum (I have no idea how much one will cost) and a cleaning, I'd say go for it.

Norman

Posts: 153 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: December 18, 2005
posted
Mark
Finnemore was a prolific dial maker working out of Birmingham 1812 to 1853. Also made falseplates with Walker.Walker and Finnemore dissolved their partnerships so you see falseplates with one or the other names struck through.

I would worry that the warpage/shrinkage to the flame mahogany would become offensive to me over time, and its hard to fix.

Also the movement looks doable but at $200 seems to be a major underestimate for a sound job, I am comparing uk prices however.

Good luck with your decision!

Peter

Posts: 110 | Location: Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK | Registered: June 03, 2006
posted
I guess Finnemore dial dates the clock???

posted
Mark, I agree with Peter on the price of the movement overhaul. From what I can see of the pictures it looks like it has been a long time since it has had one. Ask him if he will give you a year guarantee after he works on it, then see how he reacts.

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005
posted
Appreciate the concern. The guy that does the repair has done many clocks for me and is very reasonable and does guarantee his work. Real nice guy. Still wondering if worth the investment. Thanks.

posted
If the clock is original I think it would be a fair deal.

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005
posted
Well an update, purchased the clock. Brought it home. Looks nice. Someone who posted was correct, there was a piece that was on the top of the clock. I see there were holes and there is glue residue on top. I have a wood person, could some direct me to some pics of what might have been on top?
Also looks like there is no pendulum, does anyone have a clock like this that can foward a picture of the pendulum? Just curious ifit was relatively small or big. As always advice/help appreciated, thanks.