Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Tall Case Clock-Looks Great-Need Info/History? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
Looking at this tall case clock. Could someone pass any info or history about this? Only info on it says Tho Haas with Shrewsbury under it on dial. The middle s looks like a f, it has a slash through it. He wouldn't take off face plate. Sorry for lack of info. He said he wants $1000 for it. Is that fair? Any info/advice appreciated!!!

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
posted
Mark, most moon phase cases are finished off with broken arch hoods. I'd worry that this one had had an accident leading to broken horns and these have not been replaced properly but by the square hood seen. Only way to determine is to get that hood off.
$1000 seeems cheap for a working all original moon phase.

Just my 2c

Peter

Posts: 110 | Location: Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK | Registered: June 03, 2006
posted
Mark, for some info on English longcase clocks, see Dennis Radage's The History of English Longcase Clocks in the John Harrison Theater section. I found it helpful when I was inquiring about longcase clocks.

Norman

Posts: 153 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: December 18, 2005
posted
You were right very informative, thansk.

posted
Could someone give a rough range of price for this clock or what price would be norm?

Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
Clock is from 1790 to 1810...sorry about the wide range of dates.The latter clocks had more painting in the corners. Dial fits the case nicely.Looks like a flat top is correct for this type of clockcase but still pull the bonnet for a look. Nice flame in the mahogany. Kind of in between a regency and empire style. Remember country clocks case style ran a few years behind the London style cases. Could not find the maker. Case looks nice but base has been reduced and ugly feet added.Base should be close to the size of the bonnet. Price range 1500 to 2500 so at a thousand take it and run (with those feet....Smile

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
Example of a American Chester County tall case with a movement finished in the USA using a English "kit" movement. Notice the Osbourn's iron mounting backplate. Note dial spandrels. Circa 1785. (just got case back from refinsher, walnut painted case to look like Mahogany.)Your movement and dial out very similar.

Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
back mounting plate

posted
Neat clock. Need help. Looks like he wants $1500 and the clock needs work. Doesn't have pendulum and needs a good cleaning. Didn't want to spend this much. Can't get reding on face plate, even if there is something on it. Does a clock like this come around often? Should I just wait? Seems no one heard of Tho Haas. Advice appreciated, thanks!

posted
I spoke with the guy and he mentioned the only writing was on the back of the moon phase dial-it read " Fenimore/Burghingham. Does this mean anything or help classify this clock and give it more value? Thanks.

posted
Well an update, purchased the clock. Brought it home. Looks nice. Someone who posted was correct, there was a piece that was on the top of the clock. I see there were holes and there is glue residue on top. I have a wood person, could some direct me to some pics of what might have been on top?
Also looks like there is no pendulum, does anyone have a clock like this that can foward a picture of the pendulum? Just curious ifit was relatively small or big. As always advice/help appreciated, thanks.

posted
Mark, it would look something like this.
http://www.merritts.com/store4/public/product.aspx?Prod...7&SubcategoryID=2033 Also could have a wood stick instead of the metal rod.
Mike C.

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005
posted
Thanks, He gave a a pretty ornate bob with the clock. It was iron with painted ornate on it. Someone said that was the bob for clock, will order the suspension, though thanks!

posted
Hi Mark,
Please remember that the pendulum is the critical factor in dertermining the accuracy and stability of your clock! The wheels just count the oscillations of the pendulum. The stabilty of it is paramount! I would suggest you get hold of a book that shows you the theory of how the pendulum is mounted, how the crutch interfaces to the pendulum rod, how the bob fits to the rod etc. Then order or look for some stuff! This will enable you to get a pendulum installed that will do your clock justice.
It is likley that your clock had a steel rod supporting a bob of about 4" diameter. The bob is probably made of lead and is covered in thin brass. At the top is a flexible strip and just below that will be a brass block that slides in the crutch.The bob will slide without shake up and down the rod under the influence of the regulating nut.
If you have metal and wood skills you could with timekeeping advantage install a wooden rod, but this would not be typical for the age and type of your clock, fittings are available for this route.
Will respond on the hood top later.

Peter

Posts: 110 | Location: Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK | Registered: June 03, 2006
posted
Mark I have a 1800c clock made by Samuel Deacon with the arched top dial and the flat top case. I also found one other on my last trip to England with the same set up which was dated to 1790. They wanted $3,500 for that clock. The Birmingham name also indicated England as Bimingham was a major man. center for clock dials in the late 1700's and early 1800's. I don't know how much of this would also fit the English kits but I think the flat top case was more used in England than here. Bob

Rancher

Posts: 28 | Location: San Antonio, Texas USA | Registered: December 13, 2005