• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Scottish longcase-got it, need help "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Well I bought the clock mentioned in this thread, now I need help on the maker and the age.

clock at home

Posts: 153 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: December 18, 2005
posted
The dealer says the clock dates from 1790, but I suspect it's later, but how much? The dial is in good overall condition, but the maker's name is incomplete. The town is pretty clearly Kirkcaldy, in Fife, nearly opposite Edinburgh on the Firth of Forth. The maker's name is less clear, but appears to contain "A. Blac.." A. Black? I don't have a listing of Scottish makers, so if someone does I'd appreciate any guesses.

The 1773 is meaningless, as it's been added to the dial, perhaps an attempt to complete some marks that have been covered by the date.

Posts: 153 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: December 18, 2005
posted
And lastly, anyone have an idea what the arch picture represents? Obviously two Scottish gentlemen witnessing a battle between green-clad (Scots?) troops and red-clad (English?) troops. Culloden, the last battle between English and the Scots comes to mind, making one of the men Prince Charlie, but that seems an unsafe subject only 50 years or so after the rebellion that threatened the dynasty in power when the clock was made.

By the way, if you can't see them, the figures in the corners represent the seasons.

Thanks for any help,

Norman

Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
Early victorian. 1835 to 1850.Scotts were getting proud.....Tall cases were out of favor in London but still being built in the highlands (the sticksSmile). Case is very similar to ones being built in Edinburgh at that time. The door was very popular on tallcase clocks and regulators of the time.

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004
posted
Thanks Douglas, I was guessing 1820-1840. One thing that I forgot to mention that indicates a later date than 1790 is there is no false plate; the dial is mounted directly to the movement.

So, I suspect the standing gent is Bonnie Prince Charlie. But is it Culloden, or one of the earlier, successful (for the Scots) battles.

Finding out who made would be a big help, of course. Guess a trip to the American Clock & Watch museum is in order.

Norman

posted
Norman,
I called a friend who has access to Whyte's Clockmakers & Watchmakers of Scotland. There is a much later Black (who was 42 in 1882). but of more relevance an A Black working in 1825/30 in Kirkcaldy,, so I think you have your man here. On the painting he comments that many interclan disputes were portrayed on clock dials as well as battles with the South!
If it is an all original Kirkcaldy clock the weights should be marked with KF indicating 'Kircaldy Foundry'.
He also comments that false plates are seen up to about 1840 on Scottish Clocks.
So it all seems to tie together. Now how did it get to the US?
Regards,
Peter

Posts: 110 | Location: Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK | Registered: June 03, 2006
posted
Peter, thank you (and your friend) very much! Yes, I thing we've got my clockmaker. The battle scene on the left is kind of cut off, but shows both sides arrayed in lines, a more formal style of battle than you'd associate with interclan clashes.

A quick look at the strike weight doesn't show anything. It's running well, +2 sec/day so I'll wait until Sunday when I wind it to check both weights more closely. Hands appear to be gilt, very nice.

Norman

posted
Norman,
Just come a cross a piece of info: Kirkcaldy Foundry did not make weights until 1844, so absense of KF does not lead one to think they may have been replaced in your case.

Peter

posted
Thanks Peter, that helps as, today being winding day, I took the opportunity to remove the weights and check them out (and make some other adjustments), and no marks found. The weights are nearly the same: strike=13 7/8 lbs, and time side=13 3/4 lbs. The time weight quite likely was a poor casting, as it appears to have a rough cavity in the bottom that's been filled with lead.

Best, Norman

posted
Norman,
Usually timing side weights are a couple of pounds less than strike side. Someone years ago may have increased the timing side weight to overcome friction increases instead of a proper repair/overhaul.But if it is running well no cause for concern now.

Regards,

Peter