• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ansonia 'Unique' to restore or not to restore. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I've had this cast iron Ansonia for many years. I believe it to be an 'Unique' The case had a chunk out of it, I fixed that and sprayed it black.The case is now presentable and the dial is fine.
But the movement is the problem, it is a wreck teeth bent, pivot holes show enormous wear , parts missing etc. Its labelled 51/2, what does this mean, have I chance of finding another in good condition, are replacements available?
All opinions welcome.
Photos of the movement available, but they would make you cry.

Peter
UK

Posts: 110 | Location: Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK | Registered: June 03, 2006
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I don't think it will be too hard to find. I have some movements, but at the moment they are packed away in storage, as we prepare to sell this house and make our move out west. If you don't have find a replacement by the time we are settled in to the new place, I will be happy to look through my stach to see if there is a match.

You might think about buying a junker case with a decent movement in it. They show up fairly frequently so I think your work on the case will soon be completed with a nice movement.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks Tom,
Does it have to be a 51/2" ? I'm unclear as to what 51/2 means.
As its been 10 years plus since previous action I will look for a movement but a will keep in mind your offer.
Good luck with your move.

peter

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
As I recall, on some models that is pendulum lenght. Anyone with different info please jump in here.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hello Again, The twin of this clock is in a sale tomorrow local to me, 1, should I bid on it?. How far should I go. 2, Whats it worth? That maybe answered by question 1. Regards Ged. PS, same sale, Smiths Westminster chime 1940-50 mantel clock on rods, any interest.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
posted
Peter, the 5 1/2 IS the pendulum length. That particular clock sells for anywhere from $150. to $200. in my area, Pa. U.S.
Mike C.

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005
posted
Michael, Thanks, you put it into perspective, I'm not going to be able to retire on the profit!
Ged, that's a fine offer. I'd hate to take a working clock and break it down. So if turns out to be in good condition I'd say no , but if its rough exterior complete movement that looks doable to your eyes go for it. What do think £25? We could not aford to send the case so you would end up with a substantial doorstop---OK?

Peter

Peter

posted
Michael,
Are all 51/2's the same then?

Peter

posted
Peter, I have found that most of the Ansonia movements that have the same shape plates and pendulum length have interchangeable parts.
Mike C.

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005