WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

New Haven 8 Day "Bank Regulator" Clock-Info/Value? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mark Nathanson
posted
I am attaching pics of a New Haven 8 Day Bank Regulator Clock. Does anyone know any information, history, value, rarity? Question-The back says time peice calendar. I have seen pictures of this clock and it does have calendar on clock. Did they make this with just time? Is this original or replaced. I do not have pics of the inside. Expertice appreciated, thanks!

Posts: 206 | Location: Northern New York USA | Registered: January 06, 2006
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Hi Mark:
I have no idea, but it will be interesting to see what Tran shows for this clock. I don't have his book Frown
I would assume that this clock once held a calendar movement unless they put the same label on both calendar and non-calendar models; however that would not seem likely.... If so, that would mean a replacement dial.... Maybe an overlay dial on original pan?? Not a bad looking clock Smile

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
IHC Member 43
posted
According to Tran's New Haven book the "Bank" was available in time only, time and strike, and calendar. Listed as being 1911, solid oak, the time only was $7.25, time and strike was $8.75, and the calendar was .45 extra

Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Tran's 2000 price guide puts it at $475. However, the one pictured did not have the calendar option.
Yours is like the one pictured in the book.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
You guys are great. Thanks for the posts.

posted
Last question. Is this clock rare/valuable? The price indicated seems like it might be valuable or high for a regulator clock. Is this price the range for a regulator clock? Is it worth buying for $200? Advice appreciated, thanks.

IHC Member 43
posted
Sounds okay to me, Buy it for $200 and if you don't like it, I will by it for the $200.

Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
For $200 I wouldn't think twice. Not if 1) It's original and 2) It has the label.

Grant Perry

Picture of Gary Morgret
posted
You must remember this is not a true "regulator" clock. For a clock to be a true regulator it must be weight driven and have a seconds bit and most if not all have maintaining power. These schoolhouse type clocks are quit common.

Regards
Gary
Here is a Seth Thomas #2 Regulator

Posts: 141 | Location: Northwest Ohio in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2003
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Ture, but for $200, I think it is still a good deal.
Gary, is a spring driven clock with a deadbeat considered a regulator? For example the 15 day World with the seconds bit? Or is it only weight driven? I assume that weight driven are more consistent due to the consistancy of the weight pull?
Best regards,
Grant

Grant Perry

Picture of Gary Morgret
posted
Grant
I think $200 for that clock is not a bad price with perk of the label too. True regulators must be weight driven.

Regards
Gary

Posts: 141 | Location: Northwest Ohio in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2003