Internet Horology Club 185
New Haven 8 Day "Bank Regulator" Clock-Info/Value?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886029761/m/1671059402

January 31, 2006, 21:09
Mark Nathanson
New Haven 8 Day "Bank Regulator" Clock-Info/Value?
I am attaching pics of a New Haven 8 Day Bank Regulator Clock. Does anyone know any information, history, value, rarity? Question-The back says time peice calendar. I have seen pictures of this clock and it does have calendar on clock. Did they make this with just time? Is this original or replaced. I do not have pics of the inside. Expertice appreciated, thanks!
January 31, 2006, 21:19
Grant Perry
Hi Mark:
I have no idea, but it will be interesting to see what Tran shows for this clock. I don't have his book Frown
I would assume that this clock once held a calendar movement unless they put the same label on both calendar and non-calendar models; however that would not seem likely.... If so, that would mean a replacement dial.... Maybe an overlay dial on original pan?? Not a bad looking clock Smile

Grant Perry
January 31, 2006, 21:41
"Curly" Sjolander
According to Tran's New Haven book the "Bank" was available in time only, time and strike, and calendar. Listed as being 1911, solid oak, the time only was $7.25, time and strike was $8.75, and the calendar was .45 extra

Curly
January 31, 2006, 21:46
Tom Seymour
Tran's 2000 price guide puts it at $475. However, the one pictured did not have the calendar option.
Yours is like the one pictured in the book.

Tom
January 31, 2006, 21:53
Mark Nathanson
You guys are great. Thanks for the posts.
February 02, 2006, 16:29
Mark Nathanson
Last question. Is this clock rare/valuable? The price indicated seems like it might be valuable or high for a regulator clock. Is this price the range for a regulator clock? Is it worth buying for $200? Advice appreciated, thanks.
February 02, 2006, 20:32
"Curly" Sjolander
Sounds okay to me, Buy it for $200 and if you don't like it, I will by it for the $200.

Curly
February 02, 2006, 22:25
Grant Perry
For $200 I wouldn't think twice. Not if 1) It's original and 2) It has the label.

Grant Perry
February 04, 2006, 14:32
Gary Morgret
You must remember this is not a true "regulator" clock. For a clock to be a true regulator it must be weight driven and have a seconds bit and most if not all have maintaining power. These schoolhouse type clocks are quit common.

Regards
Gary
Here is a Seth Thomas #2 Regulator

February 05, 2006, 11:43
Grant Perry
Ture, but for $200, I think it is still a good deal.
Gary, is a spring driven clock with a deadbeat considered a regulator? For example the 15 day World with the seconds bit? Or is it only weight driven? I assume that weight driven are more consistent due to the consistancy of the weight pull?
Best regards,
Grant

Grant Perry
February 05, 2006, 13:27
Gary Morgret
Grant
I think $200 for that clock is not a bad price with perk of the label too. True regulators must be weight driven.

Regards
Gary