Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Russian CUCKOO "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Opinion is still out as to which is cuckoo, me or the clock. I got this a few years ago and an just now getting around to looking into it.

It is in rough shape. The weights and pendulum and bellows are missing. The case looks like bakelite but does not pass the Simichrome test.

If anyone has information about this clock, I would appreciate it.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The movement and back of case. Notice that the door is hinged, and hooks with two latches.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The top.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This is a close up of the markings on the case. The movement is marked with a star. The dial has two names on it. The side access door also has markings on it.

I wonder if the dands are original??

What would the weights and pendulum look like for this clock?

Any information would be appreciated!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

IHC Member 43
posted
Tom, I have seen these on ebay from time to time and I just don't remember what type of weights they had. When I see one I have a fleeting thought of bidding on it just for the novelty, but haven't yet. I think I will do a search and see what I can find. I would say that the hands look like the original ones, from what I remember (which ain't much)

Curly

None of these on ebay at the moment......

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Thanks for the effort and help Curly. I've tried to do some digging but didn't come up with much!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tom,

I have one that has a different style of case. It is veneered plywood with a minimum of carving, just some simple trim. I think the veneer is mahagony. It does have the name "Mark" (with a backwards "R") on the dial, numbers like yours on the metal door on the side, and what looks like a gear shaped letter "G" on the movement. I think the movement is the same as yours. It has what I believe is the original pendulum and weights. It is a simple light weight stamped steel disc on the pendulum. The weights are shaped slightly different than the German ones, and are painted brown. OK, a picture is worth a thousand words, right? Give me a week or so to get the pictures developed and scanned.

Andy

So many clocks, so little time.

The International 400 Day Clock Chapter 168.
The Internet Horology Chapter 185 nawcc-ihc.org

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Thanks Andy,
I will be out of town for most of the next week. I will be looking forward to the picture whenever you get a chance to post.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tom,

The one I got was from a guy who was stationed in Germany, and he was selling a bunch of those 1940s - 1950s German mantel clocks he brought back. He only had one Cuckoo clock, and he said it was from Russia. I don't know for sure, though. It looks like there are some letters on the back in ink, possibly CCCP, but I can't really tell. There are a couple of messages on the NAWCC MB about a cuckoo clock from Czechoslovakia.

Andy

The International 400 Day Clock Chapter 168.
The Internet Horology Chapter 185 nawcc-ihc.org

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy,
The Czechoslovakian clock looks like a much higher quality one than my plastic one. I have never seen a plastic one before. I guess the oddity of it tempted me to get it.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of David Fahrenholz
posted
The closest I can get to the translation is
"SaelaNo" or "SAlano". I am not sure of these though. Could be the name of the company though.

Viele Grüße

David Fahrenholz
Fahrenholz Clock & Watch
Timeless Service

Posts: 52 | Location: Fishers, Indiana USA | Registered: June 24, 2003
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
My Russian Cuckoo clock.

Andy

Russian Cuckoo front

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Another view.

Russian Cockoo 2

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
More...

Russian Cuckoo 3

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
There is no opening to the outside to let the cuckoo sound out.

Russian Cuckoo 4

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
More still....

Russian Cuckoo 5

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Last one. I hope these aren't too big. I don't know how to resize them.

I hope you can see if this is what your clock may have used.

Andy

Russian Cuckoo 6

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy,
Thanks!! I think that info will help alot. It lools to be the same movement, so I figure the weights and pendulum would also be the same. Now I know what to look for, Thanks a lot for taking the time to take pictures and post the info.

Tom

posted
Andy,
Nice clock and your pictures are just perfect!! Cool

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tom,
Here is a (borrowed) picture of a complete clock like yours.

Andy

russina cuckoo

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Thanks Andy.

Now the hunt begins for the parts!! Smile

Tom