Tools
Reply to Post

Meneely & Oothout "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Meneely & Oothout West Troy, NY Big Grin

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
posted
GREETINGS ROGER, MENEELY WAS A MAKER OF SURVEYING INSTURMENTS, BELLS AND CLOCKS IN 1836 OOTHOUT JOINED HIM IN THE BUSINESS IN 1838 THEY PARTED COMPANY. DO YOU HAVE THE CLOCK MOVEMENT? TAKE CARE. EDDIE

Posts: 140 | Location: St. Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: June 11, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is a little more on both men;

Andrew Meneely was born at West Troy (Gibbonsville) New York in 1802 and died in 1851. On January 1, 1836 Meneely took Jonas Volkat Oothout as a partner. For a few years the business was carried on under the firm name of Meneely & Oothout. Mr. Oothout retired in 1838 and Andrew Meneely continued the business as formerly. Jonas Oothout was born in West Troy, New York in 1814 and died there in 1860.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Not sure if this will be readable.

It is from "Bi-centennial History of Albany Vol. 2"

Tom

article

IHC Life Member
posted
It took about a year, but I now own the Meneely clock AND the Meneely bell that was with it. Meneely made very few clocks, it is believed less than 10. I know of only one other that exists.

Thanks Tom & Eddie for posting info.

Roger

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
That's neat Roger, after reading the info I found on him it sounded like they didn't make that many.

I found another article about how after Andrew died, a third son Clinton went into the bell business too with another man & used the name Meneely in the business name. His two older brothers took him to court to stop him from using the families name.

Tom

IHC Life Member
posted
Both the Meneely Bell and Clock from Salem, NY are now safely removed and in my possession. This first step took about a year to accomplish with negotiations and actual removal. The clock is actually in pretty good shape, notwithstanding the pictures, and with manual power on it prior to removal it ticked happily along. Restoration of the clock will begin soon.
This might be the only functioning Meneely clock in existence when restored.
It is complete with the huge wood drums that lived on either side of the clockworks. We believe there were two ropes on each side of the clock. One went from the drum on the clockworks to the large drum. Another rope on the small end of the drum went up thru a slot in the ceiling of the clockworks room, over a pulley to a weight. This would allow a separate winding for both the time and strike. There is a large gear that is moved from one side or the other to wind each side separately. The pendulum is around 9-10 feet long with an adjustable lead bob. It rocked on knife edges operating a pinwheel escapement. Impulse came directly from the pallets.

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Roger, you certainly have your hands full with this one.
I'll bet Elizabeth loves this one sitting in her living room! Big Grin

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
So as not to hijack Kevin Hoffman's thread, I'll post progress pictures here per Dave Turner's request. These parts are massive and heavy.

IHC Life Member
posted

IHC Life Member
posted
3. Escape wheel showing pins.

IHC Life Member
posted
4. Pallets. Pendulum attaches to holes at left.

IHC Life Member
posted
5. Decorative acorns total 4

IHC Life Member
posted

IHC Life Member
posted
7. Cast Iron about 20 inches in diameter.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Looking real good. How far into it are you? ie: when will you have it running?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1978 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
That is what I am hoping to find , I would love to throw some elbow grease into saving one of these

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Life Member
posted
Dave,
No timeline as to completion, but I'm hoping I'll be able to dedicate more time to it in the near future. There is still a lot to be done, but at least it is all there with nothing missing.

Kevin,
With any luck you will find an E. Howard or similar which will be much newer and more compact than the Meneely I have, which dates to 1840.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

What a wonderful old clock!

Hats off to Roger for taking on this formidable project.

Preservation so they can be enjoyed by generations to come is an important part of our hobby

Great work my friend,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002