Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ball Watch Company Clock Restoration Project "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
I just purchased this clock and was wondering if anyone could lead me to a reputable restorer for the clock face and maybe the glass in front of the pendulum. It has a Seth Thomas 8 day movement in it that may need a cleaning as well. I plan on refinishing the case as I am an avid woodworker.

Steve

Webb Ball Clock

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
and the dial.....

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
and the pendulum cover....

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
It also stated in the discription it had a Seth Thomas 41A movement in it. Any history to that?

Steve

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Also the paperwork on the inside.....

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Steve,

Looks like someone became overly-aggressive in their cleaning and did far more harm than good to your dial. You have what I would take to be an original Ball Watch Company Clock deserving of proper restoration.

The name that comes to mind for your dial work is Martha Smallwood, her contact information is...

The Dial House
3971 Buchanan Highway
Dallas, GA. 30157

Call: 770-445-2877
Fax: 770-443-5426

Dial_House@Juno.com

You may want to look at our "Webb C. Ball Railroad Standard Watches and Clocks" presentation, slide number 55 shows a nearly identical clock to yours. This IHC185 presentation is now on also YouTube at this link...

CLICK TO WATCH: "Webb C. Ball Railroad Standard Watches and Clocks" on YouTube!

Jim Hernick describes the clock that is similar to yours as being a spring-wound Ball-Seth Thomas from about 1920 measuring 23 inches tall having a 12" dial.

Hope this is of help my friend,

Lindell Wink

Similar clock in the Ball Show...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Lindell,

That looks very much like my clock except for a little bit different on the dial face. Other than that though it looks to be the same thing. Thank you for the contacts, I will get in touch with them.

I have watched the Ball documentary on You Tube and found it quite entertaining. I'll have to watch it again.

Thanks,

Steve

IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
This is a very late post so forgive me. When I have a clock face like that, I often look at either a replacement of exact manufacture, but when that is either to costly or not possible or desireable, then I use a very fine ink pen with acid free ink and carefully go over each number and marking.
It makes for some time involved and it is easily messed up, but I have done a number of these successfully. Recently I picked up a pen from Micheals store which fits the bill. IT is the tiniest one available -I believe it is .25 mm. They also have a pen and ink kit which works but is more messy.The first one costs less than $3 and it works just fine.
A small ruler can be laid over the numerals to keep the lines straight. Make sure the ruler does not contact the ink or it seeps under by capillary action and really messes it up big time.
Hope it helps.

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Moses,

I just received word today that my dial was shipped from the above mentioned Dial House so it should be arriving in the next couple of days. These people have been highly recomended and I am told do excellent work. I will post pictures of the completed project when I have got it back together. Thank you for taking the time to reply with your suggestion. Hopefully other people who read this post will apply your suggestion to one of their projects.

Steve

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Well it is back together and for the most part I am very Smile happy with it. It looks so nice hanging on the living room wall near my Ingraham mantel clock. The tick tock sound is very relaxing. I also replaced the glass in front of the pendulum and cleaned the case with a case cleaning product. A couple of hours went into cleaning the outer ring and spraying a coat of Testor's Clear coat on it. All the screws were replaced with ones of the same size and head configuration.

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Here is a close up of the dial. Martha at The Dial House put a crazed (I think that is the word I'm looking for) finish on it and at first I thought some extreme temperature change reacted with it but it is smooth and just part of the finish. For an 80 or 90 year old clock I think it is a very natural touch. They even replaced the little ferrule where the key goes through to wind the clock as well as polished up the dial ring and gave it a coat of shellac.

Steve

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Here is a closer look at the finish on the dial....

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
What a beautiful job. Congratulations Steve Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Thanks Phil,

It was fun project and not a lot of time involved. I was lucky the case was in really nice condition for it's age and just needed a cleaning. Simichrome worked great on the brass and Lindell's suggestion of the Testors worked great as well. I will have to do that to the Divers helmet as well as it has already started to tarnish.

Steve

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thanks Steve,

As Phil says, "Beautiful job"!

It did come out nice and I know you will enjoy this clock for many years to come.

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5200 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Great work Steve!

Your careful, patient approach really paid off and I am pleased to have played a small part in assisting you. It might be interesting to share a link to this discussion with the seller. Martha might also like to see the finished product as well.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Good idea Lindell. I know I can reach Martha but I'll have to dig through receipts and emails to find the seller. He was a really nice guy and I am sure he would like to see the finished product as well. Thanks for the kudos.

Steve

IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
Splendid!

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Very nice job Steve! what did you have to do to the case?

When I got this tool chest it was very dirty so I cleaned it rubbing fervently with paint thinner and an old T shirt assuming it would need a lacquer over coat.

It buffed out nicely without needing anything else. I left the flash off to show the soft sheen.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011