• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

This came in for repair the other day "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Acutex clock. It is 120 Volt, AC current. About 8 inches wide and a foot long. Because all of the lettering is upside down when the clock is set on a horizontal surface, I assume it once had a bracket that suspended it from a ceiling.

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
The disc in front of the hands revolves. It is backlit and changes colors as the disc revolves.

posted
Another color scheme

posted
This goes on and on...and on. I think you get the idea.

posted
The rear of the clock. The big knob sets the clock and the small one changes the color scheme.

posted
I will be happy to see this one go home as it's presence really bothers me. I think it is way beyond being tasteless.

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...call me tasteless Dick but I like it!...wish I had it...like unusual clock 'stuff'...how is it at timekeeping?...and what did you have to do to put it right?...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
posted
Jim,
The motor is synchronous and is as accurate as the 60 cycles per second with our electricity. That is pretty good.
The Plexiglas disc that revolves was glued to a center hub and the round insert was glued to it. The glue joint had gone bad and the two pieces had fallen into the hands, stopping the clock.
I asked the owner which side was up and he was not sure. He said that he would place it on a table. I oriented the hands so noon is with the lettering upside down.
I guess you are right, the longer that thing sets on my shelf, the less I dislike it. Even Christmas decorations couldn't make this thing look as good a Ged's clocks. It probably was originally a gift from somebody's mother-in-law.
Best Regards,
Dick

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Interesting item Dick,

Exploration of the 'base' might be interesting to see if there is an attachment method there. Sure has that glitzie 1962 look about it. Or perhaps "Dancing on the Ceiling" from 1986 would be more appropriate...

"Dancing on the Ceiling" Lionel Richie, 1986...Big Grin

For that clock, you'd need a low ceiling which could rule out much dancing... Limbo Time? Eek

Thanks for sharing it!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Very interesting clock. I like it! But then I also like the unusual. It looks like it should have a security camerea peeking out through the dial.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
That looks neat to me! It looks like the Timex colorfix wrist watches, and a Lava lamp clock they made in the 1980s that used plastic discs with irregular shapes to mimic the liquid in Lava Lamps. When the discs turn in opposite direstions, it looks like flowing color changing liquid (but it is plastic).

Andy

Lava Lamp Clock

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Lin,
The base of the clock is attached with 4 Philips screws which were covered with felt feet. These had to be removed to access the screw that held the tube looking part to the base. All of this had to be removed to slide the works out the back of the tube. There are no apparent hooks, latches etc. on the base. I looked on the top and bottom of the base for marks where it had slid into a track or something else. No marks or scuffs.
The exterior parts of this clock are all plastic.
There are two small tube looking bulbs behind the dial which supply the light. I did not run the clock without the dial but I think the tubes change color and project different colors through the colored Plexiglas.
Dick

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Dick,

Thanks for the additional information.

It sure speaks of another time in more ways than one... Big Grin

Very interesting item.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002