Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Hastings question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of John Reed
posted
I recently purchased this Hamilton Hastings. The on-line seller indicated that it was one of only 1412 produced. Now, even though it can truthfully be said that I just fell off the turnip truck in the world of horology, I know that Hamilton produced a lot more of the Hastings than 1412.

I bought the watch because I liked the way it looked, not because I thought that it was rare, and the price I paid is in line with others that I've seen on line, so I'm happy regardless.

But I am curious: Is there anything about this particular Hastings (the dial, perhaps) that would justify such a claim?

By the way, I know that the reasonable thing for me to do would be to ask the dealer, of course. This is the same dealer who declined to answer my questions about the care and maintenance of vintage watches, which led me ultimately to this wonderful forum. Thanks for any information you might be able to provide.

Posts: 11 | Location: Memphis, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: January 19, 2008
Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
If this is indeed solid 14K white gold, then it was one of 1412 produced. If gold-filled, then >14,000 were made. The dial to me (from this photo) looks like a nice refinish.

Posts: 261 | Location: Chicago, Illinois USA | Registered: June 01, 2006
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Redone dial///// Smile

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
Picture of John Reed
posted
The dial is refinished, and it was represented to me as such. It's gold-filled, though, not solid.

Does a dial refinish make a watch less valuable? I'd just as soon have a good-looking refinish than an original dial that was showing its age badly.

Posts: 11 | Location: Memphis, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: January 19, 2008
Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
The seller, then, perpetuated his misreading of the production data (I use Rene Rondeau's book).

Regarding refinished dials, I don't think it would affect the value of a gold-filled Hastings, per se, though I'd prefer a good original dial to a refinished one any day (just a personal preference). On certain Hamiltons, on which all the markers are engraved into the metal of the dial and inlaid with black enamel, only the surface of the dial is refinished, the markers do not need to be repainted, so any good refinish will make the dial look to be in perfect original condition (I'm speaking of models such as the Piping Rock, Meadowbrook, Langley, Webster, Coronado, et al).

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
I agree with much of what has been said in this thread.

I like the Hastings model. Square, but with rounded edges of the bezel.

My problem with the dial is that the style of the dial/numbers do not match the hands. It looks mis-matched. Also, the name "Hamilton" on the dial seems more like the type they did in 1950/1960, than they used in 1930.

I would suggest that this a poor refinished dial, with incorrect hands.

The good news is that this can be corrected easily. International Dial can restore the dial and hands the correct way, reasonably quickly.

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003
Picture of John Reed
posted
Ouch! Grasshopper, you have much to learn.

Thanks very much for the information, everyone.
So far, I have to send my Boulton for a glass crystal (correction--I want to replace the original plastic crystal, which came off in shipping, with a glass crystal) and my Hastings for a dial refinish. Live and learn.

I just hope nobody tells me that my Illinois Blackstone is really a Timex. Smile

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
John, does that Illinois, "Take a licking and keep on ticking"? Big Grin

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
Picture of John Reed
posted
quote:
John, does that Illinois, "Take a licking and keep on ticking"?

Well, I don't know, but the guy who sold it to me did look a lot like John Cameron Swayze, now that you mention it.

Here's the watch:

Please be gentle:

posted
I'm not gonna be the one to tell him....

Rick

Posts: 141 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2005
posted
John,
that's a very nice looking Illinois Smile

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
Picture of John Reed
posted
quote:
I'm not gonna be the one to tell him....

Tell me WHAT!!!!!!!!!!???????

Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Well, the dial has been refinished (and not too well, I'm afraid...for one, the subseconds chapter should be somewhat cushion-shaped, not round).

But I thought this thread was about the Hamilton Hastings? Wink

Picture of John Reed
posted
Is this some kind of initiation for the new guy?

I like this watch. I don't care if it's fake. I don't care if the dial is a clumsy refinish.

I would wear it in a boat.
I woould wear it in a moat.
I would wear it on a plane.
I would wear it on a train.
I would wear it in a fog.
I would wear it in a bog.
I would wear it on the lawn.
I would wear it eating prawns.
I would wear it on the stairs.
I would wear it anywhere.
I would wear it on the lam.
I would wear it deleting spam.
I like this watch, said Sam-I-am.

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
John,
Cool it/////all of us only have opinions.
Enjoy this great 185 site. I promise you that you will gather a lot of good info from our members. Smile

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
Picture of John Reed
posted
quote:
Posted February 04, 2008 21:25
Well, the dial has been refinished (and not too well, I'm afraid...for one, the subseconds chapter should be somewhat cushion-shaped, not round).

But I thought this thread was about the Hamilton Hastings?

It started out that way. Now it's apparently about badly refinished dials, a topic I can apparently contribute to indefinitely.

But I choose not to. No more pictures of watches of questionable origin from me.

I bought a solid gold Hamilton cushion from Bryan Girouard, and I have another watch on the way from him. Those are two, at least, that I know are what they are claimed to be.

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
John,
I have collected several Hamilton watches over the past 15 years. I have some very nice ones and a few that I wish I had not purchased. I say this to tell everyone that this hobby is a great one but we will buy watches that are not all original. We must constantly seek the information that will help us all to buy correct examples. Smile
Tony

posted
OK John, but YOU asked for it!! LOL

To quote, regarding the Blackstone, from Fred Friedberg's definitive book for Illinois collectors The Illinois Watch: The Life and Times of a Great American Watch Company, "Be careful that you buy one with the correct dial. They often contain 6/0 cushion dials instead of Blackstone dials which come to points at the corners, unlike cushion dials." I am pretty sure your watch has the wrong dial just as described in the book.

Further from Fred's must-have book for Illinois collectors, "Blackstones should not have a 15, 19, or 21 jewel movement, however." IF memory serves and this is the same Blackstone which I saw for sale a while back with a better, albeit historically incorrect 21-jewel movement, at a price of around $750, I think you might not have gotten all you paid for.

I would suggest that you Buy Fred's book and Rene Rondeau's 2 great books on Hamilton watches sometime in the near future.

Regards,

Rick

PS: Please don't shoot the messenger. Smile

posted
John,

I was answering your question, and was distracted for a bit (kids) while others were also responding -- I did not mean to pile on! Actually, I don't think this is a bad redial, it seems to be a nice old cushion dial to me. I do not have an extra Blackstone dial, but these are not that difficult to locate. When/if I see one I'll let you know. Likewise, if it were me, I'd be happy to have the 21 jewel movement instead of the original 17 jewel -- though I would wonder if this swap might explain why the original dial was not used, as EVERY original Blackstone dial I have ever seen has been stamped "17 JEWELS" above the sub-6 second chapter. All of that said, I think a terrific all-original yellow Blackstone should be had for $350 or less, my concern was that you might have paid a lot more.

As others have said, I made errors starting out also -- and I likely will make many others. I am relatively sure that you will LOVE any watch that Bryan sends you...I know I have!

Regards,

Rick

Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
John, I've made my share of watch purchase mistakes (so have most here, I'm sure). We live and learn from them. And I still occasionally make mistakes.

I'm glad you discovered Bryan G.'s website; he is a great source for vintage art deco era wristwatches. You should also invest in Fred Friedberg's Illinois book, which is amazing in its detail.

Here's my own Blackstone, by the way...

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
John,
Trust me----we are only here to try and help you or anyone///// Smile
Tony

Picture of John Reed
posted
First of all, thank you, everyone. I really DO want to know.

Amd when I started composing my little faux Dr. Seuss rhyme, Adam hadn't posted his reply, so that wasn't a response to his news. I was wondering what I wasn't being told, hoping you all were just having a little fun at my expense, and trying to make light of the situation.

I will obtain the recommended books as soon as possible. It will obviously be worth the investment.

I'm wondering if a dial refinish is worth the effort given that the watch is not a true Blackstone anyway. And yes, I paid $750 for it. And no, thanks, I'm not interested in any beachfront property in Ohio. Smile

On the bright side, I am well on the way to establishing the Museum of How Not to Buy Watches.