Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Fun with a messed up wristwatch case "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Here is my latest creation... I had a "Parnis" wristwatch case (panerai type case but has a crown guard instead of crown lock). At any rate the case had some QC problems (the strap lug on one side was stripped and I didn't want to mess with it). So I cut them all off and sanded and polished the nubs down. I put in an Asian 6497 with a decent dial and called it a day. Not sure how to get a chain on it but I have ideas. For some reason I think this should be in the Pocketwatch area, but this case did start out as a wristwatch Wink
Dan

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Here is a picture of the back.

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Made in China case and some American ingenuity and we do have
pocket watch I love it, way to cool not to copy your idea
unless you have a patent on it hehe.
Great work Dan.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
That's why I'm sharing Smile. No patent Wink. I hated the idea of trying to retap the lug hole or constantly super gluing the strap pin in place.

I first cut off the lugs with a Dremel cutoff wheel. Then used the large sandpaper drum (use the finest one so it doesn't gouge into the metal) to smooth things out. Then I used 800 grit sandpaper which made it have a brushed steel look (don't go in circles, just straight line back and forth). Next I used 1500-2000 grit to smooth it out. Finally I used a buffer attachment and some polishing compound to shine it up. Honestly though, I think brushed will look better since polished will just endup getting finger prints all over it.

Here is a pic of the side:

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Here is a before and after:

posted
Very nice work Dan. Has a great look to it

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Thanks! I clipped a small chain on it and carried it today. It has some heft to it which I like.