Internet Horology Club 185
Fun with a messed up wristwatch case

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886009961/m/9073957187

March 02, 2014, 01:06
Dan Carter
Fun with a messed up wristwatch case
Here is my latest creation... I had a "Parnis" wristwatch case (panerai type case but has a crown guard instead of crown lock). At any rate the case had some QC problems (the strap lug on one side was stripped and I didn't want to mess with it). So I cut them all off and sanded and polished the nubs down. I put in an Asian 6497 with a decent dial and called it a day. Not sure how to get a chain on it but I have ideas. For some reason I think this should be in the Pocketwatch area, but this case did start out as a wristwatch Wink
Dan

March 02, 2014, 01:07
Dan Carter
Here is a picture of the back.

March 02, 2014, 01:23
Peter Kaszubski
Made in China case and some American ingenuity and we do have
pocket watch I love it, way to cool not to copy your idea
unless you have a patent on it hehe.
Great work Dan.
March 02, 2014, 07:31
Dan Carter
That's why I'm sharing Smile. No patent Wink. I hated the idea of trying to retap the lug hole or constantly super gluing the strap pin in place.

I first cut off the lugs with a Dremel cutoff wheel. Then used the large sandpaper drum (use the finest one so it doesn't gouge into the metal) to smooth things out. Then I used 800 grit sandpaper which made it have a brushed steel look (don't go in circles, just straight line back and forth). Next I used 1500-2000 grit to smooth it out. Finally I used a buffer attachment and some polishing compound to shine it up. Honestly though, I think brushed will look better since polished will just endup getting finger prints all over it.

Here is a pic of the side:

March 02, 2014, 07:32
Dan Carter
Here is a before and after:

March 02, 2014, 12:19
Ray Hallenbeck
Very nice work Dan. Has a great look to it
March 02, 2014, 18:32
Dan Carter
Thanks! I clipped a small chain on it and carried it today. It has some heft to it which I like.