Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bulova Accutron Railroad Approved "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
I take several motorcycle trips every year. These are the only times my pocket watches stay at home. I've been looking for a wristwatch with a little soul to wear on these trips. Last night I purchased a Bulova Accutron to serve this purpose. My local watchmaker told me that these watches were fairly durable and water resistant. He also mentioned that these watches may keep me up at night with their humming sound. lol

I hope I have purchased a correct accutron and not a madeup watch. Your opinions would be appreciated. With my extremely limited knowledge of wristwatches anything is possible.

Bob

Posts: 183 | Location: Ona, West Virginia USA | Registered: May 01, 2005
Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
face 2

Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
face 3

Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
back

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Looks just like my Accutron 214. There are a LOT of Accutron fans here, and I'm sure will chime in.

Of the water resistant claim, it's true, but only if the battery gasket is new. They're usually replaced when the watch is serviced, so I'd check with your watch seller and find out if that's been done recently.

On that note, how long ago WAS the watch serviced? They're great timepieces, and accurate as all get out.....but slowly becoming collectors items in their own right due to the old technology and rapidly disappearing parts supply. Most repairmen are cannibalizing old movements to keep our 214's going.

Like I said, I'm sure others will chime in, but to my eye, it appears to be all correct. It matches my watch point for point. I believe the date on yours is 1973, based on the number on the back of the case. Oh, you won't hear the humming. I used to hear it all the time, but as you get older (and you being an old motorcyclist), you probably won't hear that frequency as well now. Wink

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
Mark,

The seller claimed that it had just now been serviced so mabe the gasket is new. Are new gaskets still available? The seller listed it as a 1963 model. You're probably right about the hearing since I've been riding for over 37 years.

Regards,

Bob

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Looks like a nice one Bob!

That is a 214 which was the original Bulova Accutron that came out in 1960 and was available in the Railroad Approved configuration for many years. Accutrons are tough, reliable watches that I have worn and collected for nearly forty years. Your watch is in great condition cosmetically and should provide a great deal of enjoyment. They are water resistant but I would avoid immersing an Accutron or for that matter any watch without a screw down crown.

When it comes to changing the energy cell, use extreme caution. Most battery powered watches are designed to have the plus side out, whereas Accutron tuning fork watches use the plus side facing inward. Failing to observe that is the fatal error that has caused the untimely and unnecessary demise of many Accutrons over the years. Here is additional information including an Accutron 214 Railroad Approved Instruction Booklet...

ACCUTRON, BASIC TOOLS AND IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Carefully follow the instructions in that booklet for best results. Wink

I must correct Mark and agree with the seller that your early watch with the "M3" date code translates to 1963 not 1973 production. With Bulova an "L" was used in the 1950s then "M" for the 1960s and an "N" for the 1970s with the number following being the last digit of the year. It's a simple code and the 1963 production was shown as "M3" on your case-back.

Enjoy your Accutron, with responsible care it will be with us for many years to come. The 218 you see in the image below is of a later design that is slimmer and sets using a conventional crown located at the 4:00 position. That watch is very special to me, it is the one I bought on time payments back in 1969 and I wore it daily for nearly twenty years.

Bulova Accutrons are stylish and worthwhile timekeepers...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
Lindell,

Thanks for your helpful information. You must not get much sleep! It seems like you are almost always online helping us out. I really appreciate your efforts. Joining 185 was the best $12 I ever spent!

Sometimes I get caught in some heavy rains on my trips and this is one of the reasons the pocket watches stay home. Also it is hard to check the time with a pocket watch while going 70 mph on my bike. I have a nice Casio quartz that I normally take with me but it is not much fun.

I'll start looking on Ebay for the tools you mentioned in one of your earlier posts.

Regards,

Bob

posted
The Accutron I'm wearing today is exactly like Lindell's. This one is in a 14k gf case, M7 production code. I swapped my Dad a ygf Railroad model 214 for it a long time ago. Speaking of the humming, if you don't sleep with your arm under your head you will be ok, just don't leave it on top of the dresser or night stand at night.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thanks for the correction on the date. I missed the letter.

I hang mine from a watch hook next to my bed. I never hear it. Wink

Enjoy your 214!

By the way, just for reference, do we have the name of any good Accutron repair folks among our members? I don't need one yet, but should the day come I need mine serviced, I'd sure like to know who works on them here. Everyone I know either has retired from the business, or don't want to work on Accutrons. Frown

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
Mark,

My local watchmaker told me that he did not work on these watches. Hopefully mine won't need work either for a long time. There seems to be a lot of places online that advertise repair work. I would appreciate recommendations also.

I sure hate waiting several days for this watch to arrive. Even at my age, I'm like a little kid when watching for the mailman to bring a new toy.

Regards,

Bob

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I know how you feel, Bob! If that feeling every goes away, we must be dead! Eek Wink

HIGH regards! Mark

posted
If your Accutron gains while you are riding your bike it will probably be because the tuning fork can react to too much vibration.I haven't heard of this but it could happen.Just thought you should know.
I have been wearing an Accutron since 1972 myself.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
I would like to purchase the opener but I'm not sure if it correct or not. It does have a number "228" on it and the watch I purchased is a model 214. Would you accutron experts know if it will work on my watch?

Regards,

Bob

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Bob,

That kind of tool is designed to remove the entire back, usually in changing the energy cell on a later 218 Accutron, although the 228 number may mean it is intended for a different later model. They are most useful on a gold cased watch in order to avoid marring the finish.

Julian,

Show us your Accutron, we'd love to see it! By the way, do you service them?

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
Lindell,

Thanks for the information. After our discussion earlier today, I've decided to leave the back alone. If the watch needs to be regulated, I will have a watchmaker handle it.

Regards,

Bob

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Hi,
As a proud owner and wearer of two accutrons, one is a gold RR model like Bob's above and the Mk ll Astronaut pictured on a previous page with the time zone hand. They are both great watches. I purchased my first one in 1964 for Railroad use. It ended up with printed circuit board problems and I couldn't trust it. I'm sad now, that I got rid of it.
It would be a great day again if I could hear the hummmming...but fat chance of that happening..
I had to have the 218 repaired and I used Don Robbins in Sweetwater, Tn. The watch had never run that good before.
I would recommend his work to anyone. I would hope no one needs his expertise but he is there if needed.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thanks Bill,

Reliable service is very, very important!

Smile

Posts: 5202 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Joseph W. Robinson
posted
Hi Bill,

What is Dan's email address? I have a 10K GF Railroad Approved model that I would like serviced. number K43363 with "N0" code for 1970. Just got it... and want it to be "right on".

Thanks, Joe

Posts: 150 | Location: Milan, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Hi Joe,
Don Robbins email is dswatch@chartertn.net
His ad is on page 47 in the last Mart.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
Picture of Joseph W. Robinson
posted
Hi Bill,

Thank You for the info. I will contact him.

Joe

Posts: 150 | Location: Milan, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
My watch arrived this afternoon and it really looked great. However it is not running properly. It runs for awhile and then stops. It continues to hum but the hands do not move. Seller has offered a full refund so it's off to the post office tomorrow. Now my hunt for a nice rr approved accutron starts over again.

Bob