Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bulova Accutron Railroad Approved "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Sweetwater, TN! I think I've actually been in his shop if it's located in the downtown area! I'll have to check again next time I'm over there! Smile

Thanks for the tip on Don Robbins!

Bob, I'm very sorry to hear about your 214. As I recall, the problem is usually the canon pinion. Unless properly greased when serviced, they'll stop on you.

Another thing (and I know this to be a fact, as this happened to me!) that can happen is you might have a battery in the watch that was less than 'fresh'. A battery that's about to die will keep the fork humming, but doesn't have the power to move the hands. I sent my watch back to my serviceman when mine did exactly what yours is doing, and all he had to do was change the battery! It's kept perfect time ever since. I felt like an *****, but learned a valuable lesson. Sometimes it's the simplist things that bite you in the proverbial posterior. Roll Eyes I'd HIGHLY suggest you try a battery changeout to see if that's possibily the problem before shipping it back. BE SURE YOU FOLLOW LINDELL'S ADVICE IN HIS POST IF YOU DO! IF YOU INSTALL THE BATTERY INCORRECTLY, YOU'LL FRY THE CIRCUITRY!

If it's not, then I'm sure you'll find one that will suit you to a tee!

HIGH regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
Mark,

The seller reports that it had recently been serviced and new battery installed. It appears that something is slipping inside. You can watch the second hand and it will run for awhile, stop for a few seconds, then start up again. My local watchmaker told me before I bought it that he no longer works on accutrons. So since seller offers full refund, I believe my best move would be to send it back.

Regards,

Bob

Posts: 183 | Location: Ona, West Virginia USA | Registered: May 01, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Well, that's your call, Bob. My watch man told me the exact same thing regarding a complete service and a new battery. It turned out to be a bad battery....but I understand your point.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
I finally got a nice working RR Accutron! Lindell fixed me up with a beautiful watch. The watch is keeping great time and looks almost new. My photo taking abilities do not do this watch justice, but I wanted to show it anyway.

Regards,

Bob

Face

Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
Back

Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
Side

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
WOW, Bob! That one IS a dead ringer to mine...right down to the strap!

I need to go home and make sure mine is hanging on it's hook!! Eek Big Grin

NICE!!!!

HIGH regard! Mark

Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
Mark,
I sure hope Lindell didn't sell me your watch. lol I'd really hate to give it back!

The hands did not show up well in my photo. They are a real pretty blue when in the light. They really shine.

Regards,

Bob

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Bob, I'm happy to report that I found my 214 humming away at home, so you and Lindell are off the hook. Big Grin

HIGH regards! Mark

posted
Bob,

I know this is a pretty old post, but I was wondering if your Accutron has held up well on the motorcycle. I ride a motorcycle also (a Harley Davidson, which tends to vibrate quite a bit)... and I wondered how well your RR Accutron has done.

I love those Accutron Railroads... I want to get one--but have been concerned about reliability, especially in less than gentle scenarios (such as on a motorcycle).

Hope you find this post... Smile

Dan

Posts: 2 | Location: Wytheville, Virginia in the USA | Registered: May 03, 2008
Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
Dan,
My Accutron is still humming away and keeping almost perfect time. However I found that my bike does have a small effect on the watch. I ride a Yamaha Virago 1100 v-twin. My watch will lose about 10 seconds per 100 miles while riding. I didn't wish to damage the watch so I ended up buying a Pulsar railroad approved wristwatch for use on bike trips. My bike has a fair amount of vibration also due to being a v-twin. It's possible you may not have this problem with a different Accutron. I had not set the time on mine since I last replaced the battery 3 or 4 months ago and when I checked it today it had only lost about 1 1/2 minutes.

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

Bob

posted
Thanks Bob, that info does help. I had figured that the vibration of the bike might alter the time keeping function of the Accutron somewhat.

But I do still want one. Maybe I'll go with an old G-shock for the bike... Smile

Dan

Posts: 2 | Location: Wytheville, Virginia in the USA | Registered: May 03, 2008
Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
Thought I might add a little more information regarding the Accutron I purchased from Lindell. Recently I wore this watch for a month.<no motorcycle trips> During this time it lost only about 50 seconds. Needless to say I'm still very happy with this watch.

Bob