Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Jumpy Second Hand "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Francesco Marco Maraschin
posted
Hi all
Ive got a Longines watch that has a very jumpy second hand, the jumping is also very irregular, would there anything to worry about or is there just a lot of play in the gears?
The watch keeps great time and i think it is only the play in the gears but i thought i would ask just to get your guys opinion.
Thanks All
Francesco.

Posts: 226 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: November 19, 2012
posted
Said watch. Sorry for bad photos

Posts: 226 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: November 19, 2012
posted

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Could it be a problem with the seconds gears? Check for debris near the shafts or on the gears them selves. If the other hands are doing fine then I would focus on the seconds gears. Also, how does the second hand look? Make sure it is not slipping. Not sure if it helps, just ideas.

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
IHC Member 1856
posted
During that time I think Longines produced movements with indirect drive second hands. The fourth wheel was connected to the second hand via a very delicate pinion. In normal operation the second hand would appear to hang up for a second and then jump forward abruptly. If you can find a video of a Chopard LUC 2000 movement, it is an example of a modern indirect drive second hand. It doesn't affect the accuracy of the watch, it just looks a little sloppy if you see it happen.g

Posts: 31 | Location: Anniston, Alabama in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2013
posted
I agree with Geary, the indirect method of drive from the fourth wheel can sometimes affect the running of the seconds hand. I have two watches that do this, a Bulova type All navigators watch, and a 1940's Oris.
It does not affect the timekeeping, just looks strange. It does not do it when the watches are "flat", on a table or other surface either.

Posts: 77 | Location: Ilkeston in England | Registered: March 22, 2013