Internet Horology Club 185
Jumpy Second Hand

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886009961/m/8753927087

November 20, 2013, 05:57
Francesco Marco Maraschin
Jumpy Second Hand
Hi all
Ive got a Longines watch that has a very jumpy second hand, the jumping is also very irregular, would there anything to worry about or is there just a lot of play in the gears?
The watch keeps great time and i think it is only the play in the gears but i thought i would ask just to get your guys opinion.
Thanks All
Francesco.
November 20, 2013, 05:59
Said watch. Sorry for bad photos

November 20, 2013, 06:05

December 01, 2013, 10:38
Dan Carter
Could it be a problem with the seconds gears? Check for debris near the shafts or on the gears them selves. If the other hands are doing fine then I would focus on the seconds gears. Also, how does the second hand look? Make sure it is not slipping. Not sure if it helps, just ideas.
December 01, 2013, 15:37
Geary Hurst
During that time I think Longines produced movements with indirect drive second hands. The fourth wheel was connected to the second hand via a very delicate pinion. In normal operation the second hand would appear to hang up for a second and then jump forward abruptly. If you can find a video of a Chopard LUC 2000 movement, it is an example of a modern indirect drive second hand. It doesn't affect the accuracy of the watch, it just looks a little sloppy if you see it happen.g
December 02, 2013, 06:30
Robert Butler
I agree with Geary, the indirect method of drive from the fourth wheel can sometimes affect the running of the seconds hand. I have two watches that do this, a Bulova type All navigators watch, and a 1940's Oris.
It does not affect the timekeeping, just looks strange. It does not do it when the watches are "flat", on a table or other surface either.