Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Electric RR Special "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Just picked up this two-tone cased Hamilton Grade 505 marked Hamilton RR Special and Electric on the dial. It has a cool zig-zag electric red second hand.

Anyone know what kind of cell these require? Can I use a modern battery? If so, which size is appropriate?

Thanks,

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Nice watch John, I especially like that second hand.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
John, a 387 and +ve up if I remember

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Thanks Chris. Unfortunately, I don't have any 387, so I'll have to pick a few up on Monday at my local watchmaker supply shop.

IHC Member 1338
posted
John; My watchmaker just got done with one I had
and said the newer batteries won't make proper contact on these. They used to take a 302, the bottom (-) on the newer ones is stepped and these require a flat bottom. He had to end up using a 391 and modifing the strap cause they were a little shorter.

At least that's what he told me. See what yours does, and let me know. I've got a Van Horn and a pacer needing batts as well.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roddy J. Brunton
posted
John, I'm just over in Richmond. Out of the goodness of my heart, you can just send it over to me & I'll take this nasty little piece off your hands so you won't have to worry about the battery any more. Smile
Rgds, Rod

Roddy JB

Posts: 1386 | Location: Richmond, British Columbia in Canada | Registered: January 07, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Roddy,

I would send it right over, but it is Mother's Day and my wife likes this one. Sorry Smile

Ironically, you are the only other IHC185 member that I know of in the lower mainland, but I'm moving away at the end of June.

John III

IHC Life Member
posted
Where are you headed? Don't leave, I don't want to be all alone!

However, if it is definitely your intention to leave me as the only IHC representation in the Lower Mainland, I think this watch could be appropriate compensation! It would help assuage the feelings of despair & abandonment I am experiencing. Smile

Rod

Roddy JB

Posts: 1386 | Location: Richmond, British Columbia in Canada | Registered: January 07, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Roddy,

Don't know where we're going yet, but my work permit expires in late June. I'm interviewing for jobs in the US in various places. Hopefully one of them will come through with an offer in the next month.

I want to get this one running before I decide to get rid of.

Talk to you later,

John

posted
Good luck in your job search John. Port Moody, sounds like a nice place to live. Let us know when you decide to sell it as I too will be interested in bidding.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Keep me posted John. I would give it a good home!
Best of luck on your job hunting!
Rod

Roddy JB

posted
if anyone ever needs a 387 I can get them, my guy charges me 5.00 each.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Good luck on your job.
And lets keep the watch once you decide to sell it
in IHC family.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011