WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  All Wristwatches Discussion Forum    "Don't Touch that Dial !!" Or Should You? Dial or Redial? That is the Question
Page 1 2 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

"Don't Touch that Dial !!" Or Should You? Dial or Redial? That is the Question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Jim,

I have learnt in this board that if the dial is in bad shape, a well-done refinish will improve the overall value of the watch. If the dial is in a decent shape tendency is to let it as is.

If you can post a picture of the watch, or watches, you will get a more definitive answer to your question.

Regards

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Carlos,
here is a hyperlink to a little web site where I keep my pictures.
http://www.cruisersnh.com/Watch/start.htm

When you get there click on the Tissot name in the left hand column

Then go to the bottom of the Tissot page and click on before and after Pictures. There is a pic of the before and after dial on a Seastar 7

Eagle Dial in Philia. did the restore.

There is no way I can take a picture of what an incredible job they did on this watch.There is more to the story regarding some things with Inter Dial and the rest but this will suffice.

After I got this back I have sent a Longines 990 Auto out to them can't wait to see what I get back

Jim

Posts: 151 | Location: Atkinson, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: October 17, 2004
posted
Hi Jim,

It's good to see that this thread has got going again. Bottom line: how much did the Tissot makeover cost?

Posts: 746 | Location: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: December 25, 2003
Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Glyn,

Well, I got my Tissot back monday and it came out so beautiful I sent the Longines out Tuesday.

Eagle Dial in Phila did it and I can't take a picture that shows what an incredible job they did.

So after I spent some time looking at it, I decided the Longines needed the same TLC.

if this Longines wasn't a 990.1 Auto I probably would have thought about it a little longer. But in fact the dial was worse than the Tissot.

I spent a lot of free time surfing around the net reading opinions on dial restoration, value pros/cons and decided that I want my important pieces (At least to me) in the best condition I can get them.

I have a few that are at minimal decision points, but thats the way they are going to stay.

There are just a couple of Marques that I need to find that I really want for my current effort. I wear everything I own.

Then I am changing my focus to 1920-40's Art Deco pieces which will basically be curio cabinet items and I will do to them what is required to get them into a reasonable condition.

Posts: 151 | Location: Atkinson, New Hampshire U.S.A. | Registered: October 17, 2004
posted
Thanks for that, Jim. Are you sensitive about the cost or should I do the diplomatic thing and stop asking? Big Grin (unlikely, according to my track record Wink )

Posts: 746 | Location: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: December 25, 2003
Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Glyn,

I am a very sensitive guy, LOL except I answered the wrong post, I did not notice there was a page 2 of messages. I saw your name clicked on page one and answered that question. Not realizing there was a page two with your name, LOL

Now, there is a little more to the story.

I had the dial restored as I said previously, Eagle in Phila did that job. I also has a Tissot crown put on which the guys who did this for me found and installed.

They also polished the watch and the ss band (Did not ask for ) they did this to be nice.

Total out of pocket including Regesterd mail, signature was $89.00 (Everything)

Go to my little web site http://www.cruisersnh.com/Watch/start.htm

click on Tissot tab and look at picture tab at the bottom of page

I can not take pictures that even come close to showing the incredible job both they and Eagle did.

The watch looks Brand new.

I found these guys in Syracuse , NY and they are super to do business with and really great folks.

There is a little more to the story on how the dial ended up at Eagle. It seems they originally sent it to International Dial who screwed up the job (I never saw what ID did)
They were very unhappy with ID and sent it out to Eagle (no cost to me) and then reassembled it cleaned, timed and did the balance of the work and like I said total cost $89.00

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
Jim...enjoyed the tour of your collection on your web site...very nice!...

Jim
IHC#234

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Thanks Jim

I probably have another 10 or so which are not revelant and are not even there.
i am probably going to liquidate a few of the pieces I have.
The Coifman is a beautiful piece with an ETA 2894 movement in it but the watch is just to big for me.
It is still in the box and never been warn.

if you know anybody who might be interested in it have them drop me a line

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
This is an interesting topic. Myself for my own collection I prefer to keep dials original. I have a number of watches with original dials. Having said that I think we have to take into account that different people feel differently about how the watch they are wearing looks. Many people want it to look as new and un-used as possible. Also if you intend to sell the watch and it is a better watch the investment in a dial re-do is well worth it. We purists have to understand that the used vintage wristwatch market has many collectors that want to use, enjoy and show off their vintage timepiece. They look for the best looking example and pay little regard to the originality of the dial.
I stopped using Eagle dial a few years ago do to inconsistency of quality. It appears I will have to give them a try again. I have used International on and off for many years. They to have had an up and down quality problem however anytime I have had a problem they have been more than accommodating.
I am attaching a picture of a GIRARD-PERREGAUX dial that I will be sending out this week. When the dial comes back I will put a picture up.
The second picture is a dial re-do by Eagle about 10 years ago. In this case I had no choice but to refinish the dial.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Picture 2

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Glyn,,
The cost of re-done dials varies quite a bit depending on the dial the range is anywhere between $21.00 to over $100.00 plus shipping. Most dials are between $21.00 and $35.00. You also have to take into account time to take off the hands and dial and re-installation

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Jim,
About your graduation watch.
Since you seem to be fighting with yourself about it, why don't you wait a while and just leave it alone until after the holidays, and if it still really bothers you, you will want to fix it.
If it is still just a fight inside, and you are too hesitant, Don't do anything. You have to "KNOW" what you want first. If you are not confident in the decision, leave things alone.

My motto is "When in doubt, Don't"
Saves a lot of heartache.

One day, when you have "really" had enough of the mind bend, you will know what to do, with no regrets.

This didn't answer a thing I know, but the answer is with YOU, it's a real personal thing and only you know what is right.

It's your treasure! Enjoy it, perfect or not!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
OOPS!! I did the same thing, I didn't notice the second page either!

Sheila

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Sheila,
Those darn second pages. You are correct. I made up my mind on the Waltham to "Let Sleeping Dogs Lie. I am going to leave the entire watch as it is.In fact, the dial looks worse in the picture than it really is.

Currently, I am in the start of a Longines Auto 990 restoration. I wish I had the skills to do a lot of this myself, but I don't, SO.

The guys got the piece this week and we had a long conversation about it on friday.

The dial is a no brainer. However, the case is the major problem.

The case is an RGP (Rolled Gold Plate) case and is dinged up on the lugs.My original mindset was to have the case replated but now the first attempt will be to smooth out the gouges and polish.

If that can be worked out to an acceptable end result than all is well.
If not it will have to go out and have some fill work done and be replated.

Longines service center quoted $230.00 for a new case.

However, they won't sell me a part. They require you send the watch to them, they evaluate, do the work and send you a Mortgage for your second born. I DON'T THINK SO

posted
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

THAT IS SO FUNNY!

Mortgage your second born huh!
It's what I figured they would do.

I'm still laughing. Big Grin Big Grin

I hope all goes well with the watch, and I'm glad that you decided to let the other watch alone. One day you may be ready to do something with it, but since your torn about it, I'm glad you shelved it for now.

I would really like to see the watch when it's done. Maybe you can post what was done to it.
I would LOVE to see it.

Good Luck!

Sheila

Picture of Jim Rogers
posted
Shelia,

You know, since I really got into this watch collecting thing I have learned more than I probably ever expected too. Everybody has a reason and a focus on what, why and where.

I look at these pieces as small pieces of art and incredible craftsmanship by some very gifted people. I am a pretty good wrench and can fix cars, motorcycle, airplanes and build houses etc. But watch making is way past by skill level.

I look for pieces that I can buy at some what of a reasonable price, maybe a marque that is not commercially well know by the general public in the USA, usually prior to the early 1980’s before a lot of these old houses went into history or were absorbed by large holding companies like the Swatch group.

I try to bring them back to life, give them a good home and hopefully pass them on to somebody else who will appreciate what past generations have created.

This stupid Longines is a good example. I wish I had taken better pictures before I shipped it out. However, when it arrived at Erie Watch and Gem, they called me and wanted to know if my dog had eaten the watch. LOL

This is where my first statement comes into play “I have learned more than I probably ever expected too.” Gary at Erie, who is a great guy said “You know this is a RGP case.”

A what I responded? The learning experience continues.

We then had a long conversation and triaged this watch and made some decisions and looked at alternatives. Now, if I can throw a few $$$ at this and bring it back to a reasonable condition, great. I have taken a piece with a pretty unique movement and helped it continue its road into history.

God am I rambling on, LOL