Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Which wristwatch did you wear today? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Normally I wear my Omega 3570.50 moon watch but when I go out of the house to work ....or just out of the house after dark, I'll wear this little beauty. If it gets ruined at work or if I need to hand it over to a mugger, I'll just cough up $60 and get another one! Out of the box it came with a too short seconds hand with the end painted red which I didn't like. I replaced the hand with a longer one that I painted white; much better and very legible. The other thing that I didn't like is that the crystal was 1mm thin and flat. Boring. I made a 1.75mm convex beveled replacement. Smashing! Another issue was the timekeeping. It ran at least 20 seconds fast. After careful tuning the solid 7S26C holds a truly uncanny rate of + 2 seconds/24hours ....and sometimes zero! This performance is repeated each time I wear it. I do realize that I'm lucky and another example might never get quite as close but for the small money, you can't beat these watches and if something goes wrong, you can always try (buy) another one! This Seiko is modified to my taste and I'm very pleased with it.

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
That's a VERY nice 'yard watch', my friend.

I wear a Seiko 'Sportura' perpetual calendar titanium myself when I'm not wearing my 'good watches'. Though mine is a quartz movement (I'm a mechanical movement man myself), this one is extremely comfortable and does the job extremely well.

YOURS is definitely a head turner as currently set up, and a mechanical movement as well. NICE job!

Regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Nice job William,
I've still got this 7S26 I'm trying to resolve an issue with. Right now I can't the bezel back on the case.
Now I'm just looking for a resolution to get it up and running without pouring more money in it!

What I've done so far: Put a sapphire crystal in the bezel, (which is not entirely seated properly).
Ordered a new Seiko Crystal, gasket and bezel gasket. The shop I took it to said the gasket bezel is incorrect. (These were all original Seiko part nos.).

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Dave some crystals are not made the same I crack/chipped few from seiko myself same goes with bezels
Mr.W nice twist like your glass on that seiko5
who ever decided with the flat one should be fired from seiko

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1959
posted
Man William, you never cease to amaze me. That watch is really cool and inexpensive too!!!! Talk to you soon. JMF

Posts: 340 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: June 28, 2014
Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
I just received my Marine Chronometer back from Ulysses Nardin in Boca Raton, Florida last week. It has a 18K rose gold case, Donze Cadrans porcelain dial, blued hands, with a Horween Shell Cordovan strap from Chicago. And it's water resistant to 200 meters.

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005
posted
The internal workings of the chronometer.

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Sweet

Smile

Posts: 5231 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1613
posted
WoW....Beautiful time piece...

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Super-Fine and the dial is pretty spectacular!

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
What movement is in that beauty, Matthew?

Regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Life Member
posted
Not terribly special, but I am pleased, since I brought it beck from the dead by making a new balance staff, and re lumining the hands. That was the first time I have tried turning a balance staff from scratch. It is keeping time within one minute per day, which I suspect is probably as good as can be expected from this movement.
Color match on the hands is pretty good when glowing, but does not photograph well, and looks a bit too white in normal light. I assume the numbers have yellowed a bit with age. Movement is a size 6/0 "Sapphire". I am afraid to tackle the dial. My chances of getting those numbers painted back on there, with clean edges and with the "shadow" effect are just about nil.

Edit: Forgot to mention. Case is Wadsworth 25 yr., "Butler" finish, in white GF, flat back. One tiny spot worn through to base metal, on the back side of the lug at 11:00.

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Nice job! I'd leave the dial just as it is.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Life Member
posted
That is what I am thinking. Next time I inherit a million dollars from some stranger in Nairobi, maybe then I will send the dial out to someone who specializes in that sort of thing. Smile

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015
posted
David Booth, making a balance does not sound easy to do. Mark Cross, the movement is a UN-26, which is a modified and finished ETA 2892-A2.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Very good! Thank you!

Regard! Mark

Life Member
posted
Well - I didn't make the entire balance; just the staff. but still, it took me three tries before I got one I was satisfied with, and then I messed it up while polishing the pivots, and had to make a fourth. One thing I am not sure about. After I had it turned to size, but before I polished the pivots, I hardened it, and drew the temper to a dark straw color. That was - well, I am going to call it "engineering judgement" because as engineers we are not allowed to say "wild *** guess", but I have no idea if that was necessary; or, if hardening IS necessary, did I chose the proper temper? Maybe someone with more experience would like to set me straight on that score?

IHC Member 2030
posted
Mr. Sutton, that UN has everything desirable in a watch, thanks for showing.
Mr. Booth, somewhere in my physics reasearch your answer lies. Will keep looking as others may know off the top of their heads!
Today, curvex worn in driving position, bought it here on IHC Gruen
Lots of rain and trees down hurricane Matthew, generator 4 days, all lives ok

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
posted
I like that Curvex. Classic.

posted
Hi everyone, new member. I've been reading all the fantastic posts and wanted to share what's on my wrist today for Halloween.
An WGF Elgin E-7

Posts: 45 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: October 25, 2016
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Welcome Eric, nice watch thanks for sharing.

Smile

Posts: 5231 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Nice old Elgin.
Welcome to the group Eric.

Dave Turner