Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bulova Sea King "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
I've been after a Bulova Sea King. Just bought this on ebay. I need some input from the Bulova experts,

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Movement.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Case

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
buff the case change crystal and you will have a great watch from 1969 .
and since I'm not an expert no opinion is given Big Grin

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
I have sold many of these. It is a very desirable Bulova. They can sell for 30 - 100.00 easily, you never know. The gold tone movement is a nice one, you got a solid watch, should always be worth at least what you paid for it and that is a plus.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
posted
Back in their heyday Bulova advertised extensively, especially prolific magazine ads. Sea King was their line of gents' water resistant automatic watches with their typical cases with locking ring on case back. I like them myself as they use their own in house manufactured movements and not those later AS and ETA movements. I avoid the Ambassador (Buren movement) and the Set-O-Matic (AS 2066 movement) unless I get them CHEAP for parts.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
posted
Thanks for the replies. Watch arrived yesterday, looks better than the pics.

posted
I want to replace the crystal, the old one was glued in and came apart during removal. I have replaced pocket watch crystals, but no wrist watches, tried a couple- glass- that were close but a little bit under diameter. The sweep second hand touched on both.
Measured the bezel diameter, about 28mm, height is a bit sketchy about 4mm. I am thinking a high dome plastic crystal would be correct, but not sure. There are so many styles. I have a crystal compressing tool. Any advice appreciated.

Gary

posted
go with hi dome and get crystal 28.2mm
so once compress will fit tight.

posted
Thanks Peter, can you recommend a source for a crystal?

posted
I got my from ebay just look for bulova crystal or by size
seller ID 57vert

posted
Ordered a couple crystals from Esslingers, along with some other stuff.

posted
Today with new crystal.

posted
nice one and I like the kinda checker wrist band.

posted
Thanks Peter, the new crystal made a huge improvement in the appearance.