Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A Throw Away? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...well, I've had this Hamilton Electronic under the microscope and still can't determine how to open the case and replace the weakening battery...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...a look at the back...appears to be sealed...

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...a view of the side as well...any ideas?

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Jim maybe it comes out by removing the crystal ,or is it a water tight crystal..

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Hi Jim, wish i could help you.Most of the wristies i have seen are screw back cases.But i am a real newbie when it comes to wristies.Maybe someone like Dave Freeman can help you. Sorry.

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...thanks Samie, Kevin...yes, I believe the crystal would have to be removed in order to access the movment in what otherwise appears to be a sealed case...the problem is how is the crystal removed and then how is the stem removed in order to remove the movement?...I 'member now that I bought this 'piece from Rich Kuhn maybe he knows...

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Jim, If you want to throw that away, just put it in an envelope and I will throw it away for you Wink Big Grin

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Jim is the crystal glass or plastic ,,,a lot of these you have to use a crystal lifter to remove the crystal (if it,s plastic)..probaly has a 2 piece stem if so it will slip right out the front ,may have to turn the stem a little to get it apart...

For the most part i work on the mechanical watches but have replaced battery,s in a few battery operated watches...

Wait till you hear from a few more people before you tackle it,,not having the watch in my hand i might be wrong about this..

Samie

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
This might be one of those cld watch cases Hamilton used. If that is the case, there should be a lip on the bezel at eh 12:00 position. The bezel should be removed with a case opener, and then the crown should be turned so that the two piece stem will allow the movement to drop out when the case is turned over.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
Jim,
to install a new battery you need to remove the movement from the case as follows:-

* Pull out and remove the winding stem. It's a split stem so be carefull.

* Remove the crystal with a crystal removal tool.

* Remove the movement to get access to the battery.

After battery installation re-install all the parts in the order you took them out.

If in doubt go to a jewellers shop which has the correct tools or send your watch to Rich Khun. Smile

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Dave has the right method but I'd remove the crystal first and then rotate then crown with the dial down. The movement may just drop into your hand.
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...thanks to you all!...now off to eBay to find a crystal removal tool...