Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cement for screws in stainless steel watch bands "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Joel W. Sarich
posted
What is the proper cement to use to bind the screws in stainless steel wristwatch bands so that they don't come loose?
Thanks!
Joel

Posts: 286 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I'm a little confused Joel, what are these screws and what do they hold in place?

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Locktite is a good sealant and cement At your auto supply store.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
Picture of Joel W. Sarich
posted
Hi Lindell:
These are the long screws that hold the links together. These screws have threads only at the bottom. The "shaft" of the screw forms the "hinge" or pivit for the band link. These at times, work loose, or moisture may enter the threads.

Hello Julian:
Thank you! Is there any certain type of Locktite that I should look for? I want to be able to break the bond to remove the screws if the need arises.
Cheers!
Joel

Posts: 286 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
posted

I think Julian's suggestion should work.

Due to how those particular screws function, use Locktite very sparingly and on threads only. Loctite is not permanent unless you want it to be, it is a plastic bridging material that can be released when needed.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
What is the method of getting loctite to release. Thanks for your help.

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
posted

The use of Loctite essentially takes up space and thereby bonds the surfaces, it also will help keep the fastener from seizing. To release it you must overcome the bond with additional force. That's the best way I can think of to explain how it works.

Wink

posted
There are a few different types of locktite.They are described on the packages.Some are more long lasting than others so you need to go by the package directions.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
posted
Joel,
If this is a stainless steel band you should use a primer before using the loctite or it will take days to cure. The primer product number is 7649 and the loctite which is not permanent is 242 which has a blue coloured dot on the container. I have used both of these products many times and can attest to the fact that they work incredibly well. John

Posts: 299 | Location: Mount Brydges, Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 10, 2005