Internet Horology Club 185
Cement for screws in stainless steel watch bands

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886009961/m/6421036652

May 29, 2007, 16:14
Joel W. Sarich
Cement for screws in stainless steel watch bands
What is the proper cement to use to bind the screws in stainless steel wristwatch bands so that they don't come loose?
Thanks!
Joel
May 29, 2007, 19:51
Lindell V. Riddle

I'm a little confused Joel, what are these screws and what do they hold in place?

Lindell

Wink

May 29, 2007, 20:12
Julian J. Smith
Locktite is a good sealant and cement At your auto supply store.
J Smith
May 29, 2007, 21:33
Joel W. Sarich
Hi Lindell:
These are the long screws that hold the links together. These screws have threads only at the bottom. The "shaft" of the screw forms the "hinge" or pivit for the band link. These at times, work loose, or moisture may enter the threads.

Hello Julian:
Thank you! Is there any certain type of Locktite that I should look for? I want to be able to break the bond to remove the screws if the need arises.
Cheers!
Joel
May 29, 2007, 21:37
Lindell V. Riddle

I think Julian's suggestion should work.

Due to how those particular screws function, use Locktite very sparingly and on threads only. Loctite is not permanent unless you want it to be, it is a plastic bridging material that can be released when needed.

Wink

May 30, 2007, 12:25
Michael Loggins
What is the method of getting loctite to release. Thanks for your help.
May 30, 2007, 15:15
Lindell V. Riddle

The use of Loctite essentially takes up space and thereby bonds the surfaces, it also will help keep the fastener from seizing. To release it you must overcome the bond with additional force. That's the best way I can think of to explain how it works.

Wink

May 30, 2007, 20:04
Julian J. Smith
There are a few different types of locktite.They are described on the packages.Some are more long lasting than others so you need to go by the package directions.
J Smith
June 01, 2007, 08:27
John W. Clark
Joel,
If this is a stainless steel band you should use a primer before using the loctite or it will take days to cure. The primer product number is 7649 and the loctite which is not permanent is 242 which has a blue coloured dot on the container. I have used both of these products many times and can attest to the fact that they work incredibly well. John