Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois Beau Royal question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
I have a couple of questions about the Illinois Beau royal watch i am in the process of restoring this watch (this one was given to me) Smile..

My questions are is this the right movement for The Beau Royal the ones i can find pictures of in the price guide and a Illinois book on pocket watches shows these as a 15 jewel this one has a 17 jewel 607 movement..

Another question i have is about the hairspring this movement has a round hole in the balance cock for the hairspring stud,,i have 5 other 6/0 illinois movement and the hairspring stud on these is held in place by a small bridge which has 2 screws ...the hairspring is bad i have made it run but was not even close to being in beat and running very fast...

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
pic2

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
pic 3

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Illinois case hallmark

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Samie,
I think the 15 jewel is correct I don't remember a 17 Jewel vertion, however I will check some of my books and see what I find. Nice watch Smile

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
According to Fred Friedberg's book on Illinois wristwatches, your watch came with either 15, 17, 19, or 21 jewel movements. If it is 15 jewel, then it is a Beau Royale. If it has 17, 19, or 21 jewels then it is a Beau Brummel. Apparently the style of case engraving does not indicate the name, rather it is the jewel count that determines which model it is.

You are right about the hairspring stud being different. The earlier 6/0 movements without a grade marking used the bridge with 2 screws, similar to some Gruens. The later 6/0 movements which were marked and had the pillow damaskeening (605, 607, 601) have the circular stud opening held by a screw from the side.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Thanks Bryan and Rich for the info.
i have a 21 jewel motor barrel movement serial# 5304613 with second bit at 9:00 postion would this movement be correct for this style of case..

Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
Yes, the 21 jewel movement would be correct.

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004