Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My Panerai Homage Wristwatches "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
I have always wanted to make a wristwatch and with the coaxing of our very own Peter Kaszubski ("I just made wrist watches ...") I decided to make some. I used Panerai style cases and Swiss movements. The 2 on the left are 47 mm behemoths while the ones on the right are 44 mm nice size wrist watches. The black one (affectionately know as “Midnight”) sports a Colibri Silver Hammer finish 6498 from 1980. The white one (“Frosty”) has an Arnex Gold Hammer Finish 6498 from around 1978. The dials are Swiss aftermarket from an online auction website. The two 44 mm watches have brand new Swiss 6498 Silver and Gold Hammer Finish movements that I swapped the plates on and blued the screws on one to give them a different look. The dials are from Ofrei Watch Company. I wear the two 44mm watches as the 47 mm ones are a bit big for me, but the only ones that could handle the 38mm dials. Nothing quite like buying a suit to match the tie, but hey, I started off with one watch and ended up with four Smile
Dan

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Hmmm I got 4 my self
Nice watches like the first wrist band from left
where did you got it from.
All 4 looks real good, good work .

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Thanks Pete! Like I said you kinda gave me the push to just try and build something!

I picked the bands up from various online sellers at everyones favorite auction site Wink. I like the chain link bands the best because they are slim. Midnight and Frosty have 26mm bands. The 44mm watches have 24mm bands. Midnight looks like Batman's Utility belt to me Smile

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
IHC Member 1892
posted
Hi Dan; just a note to say I like your watches. I have never built up a watch but sure looks interesting. I am not very big so I would have to have help to carry one of those but yours sure look impressive. Way to go!!

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Thanks John, I felt the same way about the 47mm ones. They are a bit large on the wrist, but do look nice. I think the 44mm ones look fine and do not take up much real-estate Smile. Building them can be pretty fun though!

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Here is another watch I built. It is on the right, with a picture of the back inserted as well. It has a Chinese 2650 movement that has both gold and silver plates. I blued the screws also. It measures about 36mm without the crown. I have "Midnight" next to it to show you how big (or small) it really is.

edit: I had a different pic here before that I swapped out.
Dan

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

I like what you and Peter are doing with these wristwatches. Appropriately you are improving common, readily available items, not modifying any important collectibles. You guys are creating interesting "show-and-tell" items you can enjoy.

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5221 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Thanks Debbie! It feels good to apply the knowledge I have gained from this sight and its people to build something that I use and others can enjoy! Thanks again!
Dan

posted
Made my first homage to Panerai

posted
and back

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Nice watch! I like the simplicity of the Panerai Dial.

I made and sold these two. "Tuxedo" and "Blue Mist". They are on the 47mm case frame.

posted
Both looks good,the skeleton one is nice is it from Otto?
I'm waiting on 2 tuxedo dials as I sold one with that dial and now I miss that watch Frown
I also order 47mm case just to see it.

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
No, it is an asian 6497. I have not started trying to skeletonize movements yet and was going to use this as a template until someone bought it from me Smile.

the 47mm cases are LARGE! but can handle more dials than most. I had the tuxedo dial in a pocket watch I carried for a few days until someone said they would buy it if it was in a wristwatch, so I sold that one. I ordered another as well …

posted
wow the Asian movement looks good