• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Character Watches - Have Any In Your Watch Collection? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Any character watch collectors out there? If so and you have a Roy Rogers wristwatch (tonneau), according to "Flea Market Finds with the Kovals" your watch may be worth $250. A Hopalong Cassidy wristwatch is worth $85, BUT, with box and saddle is worth $350. Watch boxes can triple the value of your character watch. I have three Mickey Mouse character watches in my collection; an Ingersoll(not sure of date), a wind up purchased in DisneyLand, and a Seiko quartz 20th Anniversary Walt Disney World. Cool That's the extent of my collection of character watches.

Would you like to share your pics of character wristwatches in your collection? Confused Any comments? Confused

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...Stephanie, I was fortunate to acquire a 'Hopie' wristie at a recent auction here for a
bargain basement $50CDN...as of this date, Hopie is 'Hoping-along' just nicely thank you very much...also have managed a Mickey ww...a 50s Swiss made Bradley for the unholy sum of $10CDN...have often been accused of living in the past and I certainly enjoy the hunt for these 50s 'kid' watches from my childhood...my goal is to get a Mickey Ingersoll pw and have chased several at Ebay past $125US...like the old comics, they are fun to look for and attempt to buy...there were one of my 'targets' at the GL Regional...but I saw very few and those I did came w/original papers and boxes and were priced well beyond the extent of my cash reserves for the day...btw: I understand that our youngest member, young Ann Riddle, is a serious 'character' collector...maybe she will come on and describe her collection for us...Jim C

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
posted
Heres my Hoppy Big Grin

Posts: 267 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
This went for big bucks....... Wink
Big bad wolf's eye moved back & forth

Posts: 267 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...really do like that one Mike...from my research it's rare and 'tres' costly...nice piece!...Jim C

posted
Thanks Jim, I sold the Wolf some months ago for $450.00 Wink

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Here's one that I wasn't familiar with. Maybe somebody knows more about this one: Mary Marvel

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Tom,

"Mary Marvel" is described on page 49 of "Collecting Comic Character Clocks and Watches" by Howard S. Brenner ISBN 0-89689-062-7 and published by Books Americana. It should have a red or blue leather strap with white stitching around the edges. I have no recollection of this one. Could she be similar to "Wonder Woman" so I wonder, if she was?

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted
Mike and Jim,

The Three Little Pigs watch Mike showed us would have had a die-debossed back inscribed "MAY THE BIG BAD WOLF NEVER COME TO YOUR DOOR" and the Walt Disney signature. It originally included a fob as well.

They made a similar Wrist-Watch and an Alarm Clock as well. These came on the heels of the famous and highly successful Mickey Mouse Watches. Pictures are culled from "Collecting Comic Character Clocks and Watches" by Howard S. Brenner

This fob came with the "Three Little Pigs" Pocket-Watch introduced in 1934 by Ingersoll...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted
"MAY THE BIG BAD WOLF NEVER COME TO YOUR DOOR" and the Walt Disney signature...

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Who repairs the newer Bradley versions of the Disney watches? My daughters both have Mickey Mouse watches, and of course, as they've gotten older, neither work anymore. My eldest daughters watch has a Mickey head that moved, or nodded, as the watch ticked, while my youngest had a quartz version. Probably won't be worth anything for another 50 years, but they liked them. Regards. Michaelson

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Jim C.,
Looks like you got two good deals on your character wristies.
I too would love to add a collectible Mickey Mouse PW to my collection.

Mike M.,
Love your Hoppy! Thanx for the pics of "Big Bad Wolf" PW. It's cool! Cool

Tom S.,
Never heard of Mary Marvel wristwatch until now. Thanks for the pic and sharing.

Lindell,
Thanks for posting Mary Marvel WW advertisement as well as Three Little Pigs fob and info.

Mark C.,
Check with your watchmaker regarding repair for your two Mickeys.

Anyone else wanting to share info or pics of character watches? Confused

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted
If you want an inexpensive watch people will stare at, this is it!

I wear this "Goofy Watch" a lot and love it...

Posts: 5199 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This one is not one of the big collectables It's minnie in size and value. I found it at an estate sale, did a little cosmetic restoring and is a fun one to have.

Tom Seymour

Before and after Minnie Mouse watches...

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...Tom...you did a beautiful job of restoring!!!Jim C

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Thanks Mike and Jim!! I have a good teacher, and am having fun doing some things with watches. I have assembled my first watch ----and it runs!! this watch stuff could be a more slippery slope than I thought.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

posted
Dr. Debbie,
Thanks for posting picture of your "Goofy" watch. Neat!! Smile

Tom S.,

Very impressive. Didn't know you do cosmetic restoration. Great job! Smile Thanks for the pic.

Does anyone else have character watches you would like to share with us?
Confused

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

posted
Here's a 1970's Ingersoll Mickey I bought new. I wish I had the foresight to keep the cash register tape and the the price on the box. There is no indication on the dial or the case that it was not made in America. I have never looked at the movement since snap backs and I don't get along very well. I don't have a press to put them back.

BOX FOR INGERSOLL MICKEY

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Here's the dial

Here's the dial

posted
And here's the watch in it's box. Note that wide, wide band.

Mickey in his box

posted
Hi Folks,
I have a 1934 Mickey Mouse PW, British made, which appears to be totally authentic. Unfortunately it's in bits at the moment being cleaned, otherwise I'd post photo's of it.
I would appreciate some opinions though.

The case is awful, most of the plating has worn of, and the case back has a row of numbers stamped 'Hard' into it from the inside. The dial is intact and in good condition, but there are several very small 'bumps' in it which I think has been caused by corosion on the sub surface. The hands are all there (scratched), but the 'seconds' wheel is missing.

Ok - Is the watch worth restoring and how far should i go with it?
I know these are quite a scarce model now.

I've made 'copies' of a correct seconds wheel with the 3x 'mickey's' on it and finally got a pretty close colour match to the main dial, just need to make the wheel.
What would be the effect of replating the case in term of a resale? am I better off leaving 'as is' or re-plating it? (I have the kit to do it properly).

The big rub is the stamping in the case back, it's too deep to hide, so will have to be left alone.
Anyone any theories on why the numbers would be stamped into it?
It looks as if the watch has worked hard in its life, and the numbers would suggest a serial number of some sort, possibly by a company issuing the watch to a member of staff or something?

I don't intend keeping the watch and will be selling it when rebuilt, it will be described honestly though including the 'Repro' seconds, just not sure how far to go with 'reviving' it!

Would it be generally more 'desireable' to a collector 'as is' or 'tidied up'

Best regards
John Woolsey

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
John,

I would rather have it in its original condition, but thats me. If you have any desire of selling it as is, send me an email. If you decide to re condition it, you would be much better off to do it with original parts and an original disc. Let me know what you decide.

Adam

Posts: 311 | Location: Near Youngstown, Ohio USA | Registered: January 11, 2006