• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Character Watches - Have Any In Your Watch Collection? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi Adam,
I wouldn't blame the hands, but rather, the knucklehead who may have used a rasp to remove them at some point in the past.

This was the first Popeye with open eyes I've seen. I think it must be scarcer than the squinty eyed sort of Popeye "with friends".
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
posted
Cort,

Thought it looked to bad for the hands to cause the damage. I have had them all. The worst I ever seen was a tom mix that the child wrote PROPERTY OF and his initials on it.....ouch!!!

I have only seen 1 other like that one and it was on an internet auction site, so I didnt get a chance to really look at it. Possibly a foreign version? I wouldn't think thats all they would change, but you never know. Was the movement marked foreign?

Adam

Posts: 311 | Location: Near Youngstown, Ohio USA | Registered: January 11, 2006
posted
Hi Adam,
The open eyes were what caught my eye first but
the dial is quite different than the more often seen version(not that any of these are common, of course). For starters, all the "friends" are different; no Olive Oyl et al. and the Wimpy chasing a flying hamburger on the seconds disc is coatless. I thought it might be foreign too but there is no indication of that.A prototype seems improbable, especially since you've seen one of these too. My guess would be it was a short lived version that preceded the more evolved and familiar"friends" version.
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
posted
Cort,

I didn't even notice that at first glance. Guess I should have looked at the picture a little better. The one I seen with the eyes open had the normal characters around the dial. Strange.

Thats why I love character watches though. You never know what you will find.

Adam

posted
Cort,

Here is my latest addition to my character/novelty pocketwatch collection. I picked it up about 4 months ago.

Adam

posted
Back

posted
Nice find Adam. I haven't seen one before but the painted back reminds me of other character pocket watches from that decade,i.e. Mickey,Lone Ranger etc..

Probabely due to my geographic location the only expo watches I've found are from the 1915 Pan Pacific fair. I have had them in large and small pocket versions and a wire lug wrist too. All had the beautiful debossed back.

Thanks for posting the pics. They're neat to see!
-Cort
p.s.- I just remembered I also had a Swiss watch from the Columbian fair once with a depiction of Columbus' landing(similar to the Welch one).

posted
Cort,

Sounds like you have had some neat fair watches. It is the same as the others with the "painted" backs. I have sold about 6 of the Lone Rangers in the past 4 years or so. I haven't been able to find one nice enough to keep, so keep your eyes open. Eek

Adam

p.s. No problem with the pics. I could list a different one a day for the next 2 or 3 years. Big Grin

posted
Adam,
"p.s. No problem with the pics. I could list a different one a day for the next 2 or 3 years." That would suit me fine Adam.

Here is a wierd one I'd appreciate your input on. I love Boris and Natasha as they occupy a favored niche from my childhood.I wonder if Underdog will be hot when the new movie comes out?
-Cort
p.s. There is no Super Chicken watch I know of and that just seems wrong.-C

posted
Cort,

Cool Watch! They are pretty hard to find. They made the same watches in both quartz and wind-up versions. Yours appears to be the wind-up version which I believe is harder to find.

I am not sure how many of the Jay Ward watches they actually produced, but I have the one pictured, Boris, Natasha, Dudley Do-Right, and Bullwinkle by A&M. I know they also made Gumby, Charlie Chaplin and a few others.

I didn't know Underdog was coming out. I did see they are having a Simpson's movie and a new Teenage Muntant Ninja Turtles movie. I guess they are on a cartoon kick in hollywood.

Adam

P.S. I will post pictures tonight of the rare Superchicken watch produced in the 70's Big Grin

posted
Cort,

A PIC OF THE CHICKEN AND HIS SONG. WHO NEEDS SUPERMAN WHEN YOU CAN CALL ON SUPER CHICKEN? Big Grin Eek Big Grin

When you find yourself in danger,
When you're threatened by a stranger,
When it looks like you will take a lickin', (puk, puk, puk)
There is someone waiting,
Who will hurry up and rescue you,
Just Call for Super Chicken! (puk, ack!)

Fred, if you're afraid you'll have to overlook it,
Besides you knew the job was dangerous when you took it (puk, ack!)

He will drink his super sauce
And throw the bad guys for a loss
And he will bring them in alive and kickin' (puk, puk, puk)
There is one thing you should learn
When there is no one else to turn to
Call for Super Chicken! (puk, puk, puk)
Call for Super Chicken! (puk, ack!)

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Adam I found this watch in with some stuff and wondered if it was anything worth listing.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted
Rob,

Neat watch. I would say it is worth listing. I know I will place a bid on it. I'm not sure how well it will do for you though. A lot of the 70's - 80's character watches are underappreciated. Mad

Not sure of maker. I would guess Permian but it could also be Windert.

Adam

posted
Adam,
Sweet watch! I'd be proud to wear that one and I don't even wear watches typically. Thank you for posting it and the lyrics. It wasn't just"Call for Super Chicken", it was "Caawwwwwl for Super Chicken"!
Rob, Those old political watches are very collectible Wink. You might as well auction it here so Adam and I can joust over it. Smile
-Cort
p.s.=Adam-Do you have Quisp? A pal says she has one but I haven't seen it yet,,,,-Cort

posted
Cort,

No problem! It is one of my favorites. I will let you know if I happen to come across another one.

If it is DTC and I dont have it, be prepared to battle Big Grin

I have the battery operated Quisp. I heard rumors of someone having one from the 70's which is wind-up, but they would never send me a picture.

Rob,

If you ever come across anything highly unusual, keep me in mind. The most obscure one I have so far is Eldridge Cleaver (leader of the Black Panthers) Beautiful painted enamel dial by DTC. In one hand he is holding a machine gun and the other has his middle finger up. I can't imagine that sold very well. Eek

Adam

IHC Life Member
posted
Hey Adam & Cort I went ahead and listed that Alfred E. Neuman watch on IHC auctions so I will not have to pay more in fees than it will bring.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Hey Adam here is a US Time Mickey watch I found. Is this one you are interested in. It is smaller (kids) about 24mm wide without the crown. It Ticks!!! Big Grin

posted
Here is a rare one from Germany.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I don't know much about character watches, and I do know there are a lot of knockoffs. What is your opinion about this Roy Rogers wrist watch?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The strap seems to be old.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The movement

Tom

posted
Tom,

Nice Roy Rogers. It is an original 50's Ingraham. Appears to have original band and dial is very nice as well.

Thanks for posting.

Adam