• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Character Watches - Have Any In Your Watch Collection? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
One of my favorites by US Time. The 1951 Buzz Corey "Space Patrol" The pictures have been cropped for the board, so I don't know how they will turn out. I never leave any watches in the boxes, which is why you will not see the watch in the pictures. Normally I would put the watch back in the box for the pics, but don't have time this evening....Sorry. I take them out to prevent any accidental tearing or wear to the box. Pictures were requested of the box because the watch is currently up for sale on this board. I figured this would be a better place to post the pics.

Adam

Posts: 311 | Location: Near Youngstown, Ohio USA | Registered: January 11, 2006
posted
Different Angle

posted
Top of Box

posted
Side Graphics Detail

posted
Original Paper included with watch.

posted
Back of compass.....VERY COOL!!

posted
Any other character watches out there in collection's? Confused

posted
This thread hasn't been updated for awhile. I figured I would show a couple pics of my 2 newest additions to my collection.

1947 Daisy Duck. I have been looking for a very clean example for some time.

posted
1948 Pluto. The cleanest example I have ever had of this watch. All white spots are from dust on crystal.

posted
Chiang Kai-shek from the '30's I think. Roskopf
movement.
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
posted
Cort,

Very neat. Thanks for sharing. Have you picked anything else up lately?

Adam

posted
Adam, At the same house I found the Inter watch
(which I posted a pic of on another thread) i also found two Jimmy Carter"Peanuts to President watches and a "P.I.G"(Pride,Integrity,Guts) police watch. The owner was apparently a C.H.P..
I paid five bucks each for them and threw them in my bag. When I got them back to the shop I discovered that the owner had actually expected these watches to keep good time and had the three converted to quartz movements back in the 70's.A nice job too; they all have the same big old quartz movement with a proper movement ring
(no putty). Now would be a good time to tell me that these are an original variant and very rare.Roll Eyes

The Chiang Kai-shek watch was on hold by my good friend George who said "when you get it fixed...".Sadly, he passed away before I got to it. He would have been the most perfect new owner for it too. As the son of an important Chinese dignitary my pal had, at age nine, ended up playing chess with Chiag Kai-shek. When he realized he was going to lose he dumped the board on him.

I met George at my local pub. We were the only two there and he had a WOW! Rolex on. Apparently his father used to receive a Rolex as a present
when he would arrive on a diplomatic trip. George said he had 60 or 70 at home. Oh, and the Pateks. George arrived at the pub one evening with both a Patek triple-date moon-phase wrist and the Patek World-time pocket watch to show me one night. He also had the reciept from when his father purchased the pair one day in 1944.

So how far can I get from character watches!?!?
I cleaned and worked on many of his watches including that world-time but, in the end, the only watch I ever sold to him was a near mint 48' Mickey B-day watch. He bought it because he had just read the Da Vinci code and the protagonist wore one of these. Watches can bring folks together! Two years ago George and I drove down to the Pasadena show together and I had to laugh while I observed him work the room. He was wearing a beautiful bubble-back, beautifully engraved in Chinese on the back;the dealers followed him around like it might fall off. ..the guy who tossed a chess board at Chiang Kai-shek.
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
posted
Cort,

Thanks for the information/history. He sounds like he was a very interesting person.

I wish I could tell you the D.T.C. watches were a variant and rare, but I have seen a lot of them "quartzified" as I like to call it. Big Grin If you would have said a 17 jewel ETA movement or 25 Jewel Automatic in a solid gold case, I could have given you better news and been contacting you ASAP Big Grin I haven't had the opportunity to get any of those variants yet and don't know if I ever will. I don't know if anyone in the 70's would have wanted to spend 300.00 for a Spiro Agnew or Moshe Dayan watch Roll Eyes However, for 5 bucks, you can't go wrong.

Thanks again!

Adam

posted
Hi Folks,
Dug a Mickey Mouse wristwatch out of my bits box, which I'm certain is a fake .... but an old fake.
Would appreciate comment upon it.

I've posted a pic' of the dial, and Mickey looks ....... weeeellllll ...... sort of ..... drunk / debauched ...... see what you think!

The watch case is gold plated metal and movement a generic Swiss lever type.
Will post pic's of those too if of interest.

Best regards
John Woolsey

Fake Mickey dial ?????

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Speaking of fakes,
I saw a fake Mickey Mouse that was a copy of a $19.95 Lorus Mickey.It had a Miyota plastic movement and a wrong dial.I thought some one went to a lot of trouble to fake such a cheap watch.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
posted
John,

Thanks for posting. I wouldn't say your Mickey watch is a fake. It is actually a "generic" China or Japan version. I have seen this watch marked nothing on the dial, marked China, or marked Japan. They actually made dozens of different characters such as Popeye, Brutus, Mighty Mouse, Foghorn Leghorn, Felix ++++ and 99% of them used the same hour and minute hands. Some of them look quite odd....even compared to drunk Mickey Big Grin Some are quite valuable as well. Mostly the obscure characters such as Foghorn or Brutus. There are some "foreign" 70's character watches that are extremely nice. They were made by Seiko & Citizen for Disney. They either have a 7J or 17J movement, stainless steel case and are very well made. Most of the ones by Seiko & Citizen have something animated or "fancy" about the dial.

Adam

posted
Adam, thanks for the comments, must confess you've surprised me some with them.
I'll put the thing together and post some pic's of it.
I personally think it's a fairly nasty thing really, but I'm sure someone will love it Big Grin

Best regards
John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
John,

No problem! Some of them were very crude.

Here is a rare Bird. Big Grin

posted
Never seen one of those before Adam, what sort of age is it?
Is it a paper dial by any chance?
John

posted
John,

This is a 1935 Doald Duck. Dial & hands are paper. They are hard to come across with the original hands. A lot of time, the minute hand will be missing or a fake/reproduction will be put on instead of the original.

Adam

posted
WOW Eek you got the band too!!!
Here's an interesting variation of a Popeye pocketwatch I repaired this week.
cheers
-Cort

posted
Cort,

Nice Popeye. Hard to find that version. Did the hands cause the damage on the dial?

Adam