Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Green vs. Yellow Gold? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Following up on the last posts in the "Which wristwatch...?" thread, I thought I'd try to photograph some of my solid gold and gold-filled Hamiltons, in green and (subtly) contrasting yellow gold. Some green gold watches were created more green than others, but for the most part I think the differences come through.

Posts: 261 | Location: Chicago, Illinois USA | Registered: June 01, 2006
Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Now for some higher resolution pics.

Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
This one makes the difference clear (I think!)

Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
The earlier (1926 cushion form opening) definitely had more green in the mix than those from the later '20s.

Picture of Adam M. Dubin
posted
Now for a few gold-filled examples.

IHC Life Member
posted
Some models are so scarce in yellow gold - e.g. the TONNEAU, that it is normally safe to assume any non-white model is actually green-gold. I find it helps to assess color in good daylight conditions.

Even more fascinating are the two-tone models - but beware of fakes.

Dan.

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
posted
Adam and Dan,

I like to compare a suspected green gold watch side by side with a known yellow gold example. The differences appear obvious to my eye only when there is a frame of reference.

In online auction pictures, I try to see if there is a good image of the crown, as I find that many green crowns have been replaced with yellow over the years. If the image shows a difference in tone between crown and case, it's often a green case.

Regards,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
I bought this Tonneau recently on eBay, sold as yellow gold-fill -- but buffing revealed it to be only ggf, which is much less rare. On receipt it certainly looked like ygf.

green g.f.

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
This picture illustrates the difference between green and yellow gold. Look at the difference in color between the undoubted yellow crown, and the case.

green and yellow

Wristwatch Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
posted
I appreciate seeing all these beautiful Hamilton watches...

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17

Posts: 813 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: January 22, 2003