Internet Horology Club 185
Green vs. Yellow Gold?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886009961/m/5311025172

August 12, 2007, 16:11
Adam M. Dubin
Green vs. Yellow Gold?
Following up on the last posts in the "Which wristwatch...?" thread, I thought I'd try to photograph some of my solid gold and gold-filled Hamiltons, in green and (subtly) contrasting yellow gold. Some green gold watches were created more green than others, but for the most part I think the differences come through.

August 12, 2007, 16:12
Adam M. Dubin
Now for some higher resolution pics.

August 12, 2007, 16:13
Adam M. Dubin
This one makes the difference clear (I think!)

August 12, 2007, 16:14
Adam M. Dubin
The earlier (1926 cushion form opening) definitely had more green in the mix than those from the later '20s.

August 12, 2007, 16:16
Adam M. Dubin
Now for a few gold-filled examples.

August 12, 2007, 20:02
Dan Mitchell
Some models are so scarce in yellow gold - e.g. the TONNEAU, that it is normally safe to assume any non-white model is actually green-gold. I find it helps to assess color in good daylight conditions.

Even more fascinating are the two-tone models - but beware of fakes.

Dan.
August 14, 2007, 03:25
Cary Hurt
Adam and Dan,

I like to compare a suspected green gold watch side by side with a known yellow gold example. The differences appear obvious to my eye only when there is a frame of reference.

In online auction pictures, I try to see if there is a good image of the crown, as I find that many green crowns have been replaced with yellow over the years. If the image shows a difference in tone between crown and case, it's often a green case.

Regards,

Cary
August 14, 2007, 05:07
Dan Mitchell
I bought this Tonneau recently on eBay, sold as yellow gold-fill -- but buffing revealed it to be only ggf, which is much less rare. On receipt it certainly looked like ygf.

green g.f.

November 11, 2007, 20:14
Dan Mitchell
This picture illustrates the difference between green and yellow gold. Look at the difference in color between the undoubted yellow crown, and the case.

green and yellow

November 25, 2007, 21:40
William J. Hansen, Ph.D.
I appreciate seeing all these beautiful Hamilton watches...

Bill Hansen
IHC# 198
Life Member# 17