Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Is this an original Rolex?? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
....ok it´s not that good picture but does this one looks original to you?
Best regards!
Bernhard

Rolex GMT

Posts: 423 | Location: Västerås in Swedem | Registered: January 02, 2004
posted
Berhard,
from your pictures it's too difficult to say, ther are so many excellent look alikes these days. What are the dial and case markings, serial number in between the lugs ?? What's the movement inside ??

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Ok, I unterstand. But I got to admit, when I got one of these in my hand, I think it´s truly hard to tell if it´s original. Do you have any suggestions of what to check to clearly see if a watch like this is original?
Bernhard

Bernhard Schmidt

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Dave,

What I know about Rolex's can be written on a timing washer but are they still making the quartz fakes? Every time I spot a "Rolex" on someone's arm, I looked to see if the second hand jumps. Big Grin

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
Bernhard,
looking only from the outside of the case can be difficult. But as I mentioned before, look for the serial number which should be engraved inside the lugs, this will most likely mean you'll need to remove the bracelet to see it. Then check the serial number against a known Rolex serial listing (e.g. Cooksey Shugart or other reference book).

If you're still unsure, you'll need to have them take the back off. This way you'll be able to see the movement, and the inside case markings.

As John Duvall has mentioned, also look for a jumping second hand. I know Rolex has made/does make a few quartz watches, but they are not seen very often. So as a general rule, I'd say beware of the jumping second hand !!

Sorry but there's no easy way to tell. I know a Certified Rolex Watch Repairman who bought what he believed to be a genuine Rolex ( similar to what you've shown ) only to find out later it had a Seiko automatic movement which had been glued in place !! So even the experts can get fooled at times. Eek

My advice when buying a Rolex buy from a reputable dealer/supplier and most likely you'll be OK.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Thank´s Dave!
Bernhard

Bernhard Schmidt

Picture of David Fahrenholz
posted
The picture really do not show much but sometimes some of the fakes have errors when recreating the Rolex name, the "symbol" will be not as sharp and so on.

David Fahrenholz

Posts: 52 | Location: Fishers, Indiana USA | Registered: June 24, 2003
posted
Be careful! A friend showed me his latest "Rolex" buy the other day. All the appropriate markings, serial numbers, etc. seem to be there; Rolex hologram on the case back; six clicks per second on the second hand. To me it looks, feels, runs like a Rolex. He paid $45 dollars for it in China on a recent trip.

Posts: 746 | Location: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: December 25, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

OH OH!!!

I was recently told about one an experienced trader found to be flawless. Like Glyn's story if the owner was not so clear on where he bought it and how little he paid, it would have slipped by.

It's a scary world out there today boys and girls.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002