Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bulova Accutron "Astronaut Mark II "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all,
I hope I do not get the wristwatch bug as I have the pocket watch bug, but I picked this watch up very inexpensively and was wondering what the collectability and scarcity of this particular watch is. As stated it is an astronaut MkII, with black dial, 2 time zone, date feature, I do not know what is wrong with it short of needing a new crown and stem, crystal, and likely a battery. I have not seen one like it to figure out value, to know whether it will be worthwhile having it fixed, and comments on value, rarity, and collectibility would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted
2nd

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Hi Bill.
Nice Accutron first thing you can try to is put
new battery and see if it will run
but the battery on accutrons goes the other way
flat end down positive end (+) not like those new quartz watches
as for battery I use 344
renata battery.
once the battery is in and is not working
tap on one side of the watch with your finger
opposite side of crown to get the gears going
you can try this with out battery to see if
second hand move if do this is good indication that the watch will work.
good luck in finding stem and crown as of value
in good working order I will sale it for $200 easy if not more but ebay is good indicator of the value and people do collect them.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Peter,
I have decided that I will have this repaired if possible as I really like the looks of this one.
I am not really into wrist watches, and hope this does not start me on a new addiction.
Thank you for your helpful hints,
Bill

posted
It will start new addiction trust me
sale the watch while you can (just kidding)

posted
That's a nice one to start with Bill. I love the look of the case and the Astronaut series are very collectable.
You really can't go wrong with fixing this one up, unless it does not run, and then the cost of parts coupled with the repair of the movement might push it over the edge.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Here is a web page that has a restored version of your watch,(1969 stainless steel with black dial)shown.
Astronaut mark 2

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Member 1338
posted
Bill;

I'm very familiar with that model, it's a scarce one. When restored, I sell these for $395 up, so yes it's possibly worth fixing.

THE GOOD: Dial looks to be good, case too, it has the red "stick" dual time zone hand too, these are impossible to find.

Now, I don't know what you pd for it, but here's what you're in for.

1. This is a Mark II model. Unfortunately, there's probably an all to common reason the top crown is missing. THESE ARE FOR ADVANCING THE DUAL TIME HAND ONLY, NOT FOR SETTING TIME! People try to pull out on the top crown thinking they are setting the time...and end up tearing the stem and crown out! If that's the case you might have trouble finding the parts.

2. Yes, sometimes they will take off and run with just a battery, and sometimes not. You may be looking at a bad coil/and/or/ index wheel. People don't realize these are just geared watches with an electronic power source, and if not cleaned regularly, and left to run, the internal gears once dirty start to chew themselves up. The index wheel in particular. You'll know that if you get power but the hands don't advance.

3. You'll also need a crystal looks like.

I would estimate best case you'll need a cleaning crystal battery and crown...$150-$200

Worst case upper stem assembly, crown, cleaning, coil, possible index wheel, and crystal...$350

So, to sum, get a battery in it and see if it takes off. If so, it's probably worth fixing. I have several models of the dual crown astros in my collection and in stock. It's my favorite. I also have a RR Approved Mark IV I'm going to sell.

If you need help or want an estimate you can send it in to me I have a certified Accutron tech here that can restore it as reasonable as anyone. He'll let you know what you're up against price wise and give a free estimate. Then you can decide.

Lastly, Peter is right. They ARE addictive!
Good Luck!

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
Thank you everyone for helping my addiction to get started. I am sure when I pass all this info on to my wife, about how much you have helped out, she will be nothing less than very pleased.
Okay, Okay, I will attempt to blame you guys, but I know it will not work.
Tom, I have installed a new battery in this and it works well, might have to have a slight adj. as it is a newer battery and not a mercuric one, I also took a lesson from that link you sent and buffed out the crystal, so it now looks really presentable, I am at present weaqring the watch.
Do you feel that you can come up with a stem and crown for the upper 2 zone setting ?
Better yet why don't you e-mail me at detec@shaw.ca, so I can kind of figure out what I want to do, and at what expense I might have, to replace the stem/crown, and give it a service.
Thanks again all for your comments,
Bill

posted
picture please of the buffed out crystal.

posted
Peter,
Here it is, the camera picks up far to much, including the strands of I don't know, and glare.
I have never really been much of a photographer, but it looks about 100% better.
Bill

posted
Wow, what an improvement. This watch was meant for you. Most will not start up so easily with just a battery change. And that crystal sure came out nice. Im wondering if the missing stem and crown is different than the one in the watch?. If they are the same, it should be easy to find.

posted
nice its a keeper in my book.

posted
If the crowns and stems are the same in the movement, DASHTO sells the white accutron crowns for about five bucks.

posted
Bill what did you use to buff that crystal(plastic)and how?

posted
Peter,
Sorry it has taken so long to respond, I am now on holidays.
I took some "Brasso" and gently rubbed it on the crystal for about 1/2 hour and it cleaned up very nicely, I would think that this would only work for plastic crystals though.
Bill