Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

OLD 15 J ELGIN CONVERSION WRISTWATCH "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
This is an old one I have had for many years in the junk. It is a 6 size 15 jewels Elgin model 216 made in 1899. It is pendent set and in a Philadelphia Watch Case Co. silverode case.
I had to do a lot of work to it but I think the end result is ok.
This is one big watch 43mm x 38mm round.
Anybody else have any of these wonderful old beaters to post.

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
picture 2

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
picture 3

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
picture 4

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
picture 6

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Rich,

WOW!! I bet those cases are hard to find!

Great job on the watch. It looks new.

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
Rich,

What a neat little watch. Terrific pictures!!!

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...I like it....I reaaaallllly like it!....fabulous photos too...thanks!...

Jim
IHC#234

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Nice watch Rich, thanks for posting! Do you wear the watch much? Was wondering how cumbersome the watch is to wear.

Others who would like to share their wire lug wristwatches with us? Confused Roll Eyes

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Okay Steph,

This was one of the very first 0s Elgin's I repaired. I don't like doing them anymore. The parts are just too small. This is a 15J with NOS hands and beveled crystal.

1904 Elgin

IHC Life Member
posted
Steph,

Does this count as a wire lug watch? It does have one tiny lug! Big Grin Big Grin

posted
The size (38x43 mm) compares very well with some of the large watches we see today. My big domed crystal auto from IW measures 50mm including the crown, from lug end to lug end is 49-50mm.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Thank you all for the your wonderful comments. Let me try to relate the full story. I got the watch a long time ago.I am not positive when. I know it came in a box lot that I purchased at an auction. Originally it had a 7-jewel Elgin with a broken staff and a lot of rust.
Recently I have been having some eye troubles and have had a series of laser operations to correct the problems. All will be just fine however it has temporally left me with problems seeing close work with my loupe. So I have been looking for things to do in the shop that I am not concerned about messing up.
I have been going through all my parts inventory and came across this last week. I told Lin about it and said I wanted to find a higher jewel count movement for it. I wanted an Elgin of the same period.
The other night I was talking with my wife and she remembered me buying a 15-jewel movement for it shortly after I bought the watch and while we were still living in New Jersey.
That started a hunt to find it and as you can see I did. It was in a box that was still sealed and marked 6-size Elgin parts movements.
That brings us to yesterday. I went to have my eyes checked in the morning. The doctor said it will be a few more days and then I should be back to normal with my vision. I came home and decided to have a go at this since I did not want to try anything small.
The movement was in good condition except that it was missing the setting parts and it had a broken center wheel shaft. I had all the parts I needed so I cleaned everything and assembled the watch as shown in the pictures.
The dial and hands came with the original watch and the case was just very dull.
Stephanie I am wearing the watch and it feels fine.
John I love yours what a great dial.
Lets see some more of these wonderful conversions.

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

What an amazing watch you're doing there Rich! I've never before seen an original 6-size wristwatch case. There are people doing modern-day 12-size conversions, but nothing as nice as what you showed us... plus yours is the real thing.

Thanks for sharing it, and thanks for all you do for all of us. You're in all our thoughts and prayers.

Here's hopin' for a full and speedy recovery!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Here are half a dozen that might qualify. These are quite ordinary, and you would see many like them at Marts. 5 Walthams, 3 15-j, 2 7-j, and one 15-j Elgin.

Group of 6

posted
I particularily like this one, Watham Jewel
size, Ruby grade, 15-j, 20 year white gf case with wire lugs

Waltham Ruby

posted
Here's Ruby's movement

Ruby movement

posted
Very nice watches guys, i like the Elgin that John D worked on as well.The watch Rich repaired looks very nice and I can easily see why people like the older wrist watches too, thay have a lot of character.
Hope you are well soon and you can get back to the watches Rich.

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
....as I gotten older I've become more farsighted (Ed note: a quality that doesn't carry over to the manner in which I manage my finances btw) to the point that I have to wear my 'readers' along w/my optivisor at the bench so I really appreciate these large dial watches on the street...and John I particularly like that Waltham w/the seconds bit @9 o'watch...Smile...

Jim
IHC#234

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
This is another conversion style that you come across from time to time.
It is a 5/0 15 jewel Waltham Sapphire. I call it a conversion because the stem is held in the case not by a detent system in the movement.
The case is a Keystone J. Boss and is gold filled. I think this watch was cased at Waltham because the crystal for the watch is listed as Waltham.
I like the flared lugs. Any Waltham wristwatch collectors out there that can shed a little more light on this one?

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
picture 2

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn