WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

17 Jewel Bulova (Finally, photos of the movement ) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
This watch has me baffled. The back is solid and does not pry, nor screw off. As a result I can't figure out how to release the stem.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Back may look like there's a pry area in the photo but if there is it isn't visible.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Mike, the watch may have a 2 piece stem, if so, the movement comes out thru the front. You put the stem in set position, I usually use a pair of tweezers placed between the crown and the case, gently try to use leverage to separate the 2 pieces, the stem is a sort of ball and socket arrangement. The 2 pieces will snap together with a bit of pressure to reinstall.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
split stem

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Mike, before trying to force the two halves apart, try this trick below, as I have snapped a split stem female joint by using the lever method.
As you can see from your first photo, there is a small cutaway in the edge of the movement plate adjacent to the crown to facilitate the method below, by allowing you to see (with a loupe) the position of the stem male/female joints.
Push the crown in, then tip the whole watch upside down over your hand, gently wiggle the crown a tiny amount, and keep repeating this process until the movement falls out into your hand, as the two halves of the stem separates, leaving the crown and its stem half in normal position. Sometimes it may be necessary to jiggle the movement a little with a spare finger, to coax the seperation.
To replace the movement, make a note of the male and female halves of the stem, ensuring that the part in the movement is in a position to slot back into its matching part in the crown. Gently slot them together, and if it does not go straight back in, try slight repositions of the crown until the two halves are mated and the movement is back in the case.
This may sometimes take a little while to master, but is better than trying to source a sometimes rare new split stem after breaking the original.
Bob.

Posts: 77 | Location: Ilkeston in England | Registered: March 22, 2013
posted
Mike, it looks like you have a Jet Clipper from the lugs, jewel count and centre seconds.
"H" in this 1958 advert. Good luck finding the band! (Although a crystal should be simple enough!)
Your watch should have an 11ACAC or AFAC movement, as here-
http://www.mybulova.com/watches/1958-jet-clipper-5682
I am "bobbee" who posts in the thread.

Note the watch is "certified waterproof". Bulova actually used the National Testing Center (what or wherever that was!), to test the water resistance of their watches, nd supposedly all watches were fully waterproof.

IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks Robert. It looks to be a better watch than I originally thought. I'll try some more to get the stem off. As you can see it is quite dirty and probably stuck together. Neat add.

Success! I was able to get the stem parts separated. I believe it's the first time since they left the factory. Case is marked L9 so must be 1959. Now to make it work.

Thanks to Peter, Gary and Robert. This didn't just fall out so I believe it had never been taken out. There are no jeweler/watchmaker marks in the case so it's probably been in there since '59.

posted
Sorry Mike, we need pics or it just didn't happen. Wink

posted
Mike, if you google Bulova, you should find a couple forums dedicated to them, both have pretty large data bases with pictures of many models by production year, also print ads by year.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Here is a photo with the dial and hands. Obviously the dial is showing some "patina".

IHC Member 1016
posted
And here is the movement. This does not work, the balance swings well but it doesn't seem to generate any power. My thought would be mainspring?

posted
Mike, try a little oil on the teeth of the escape wheel and the escape lever jewels. No substitution for a servicing, but sometimes you can get them to run this way.

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Gary is right Mike before you start try it it might
just do the trick

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
O.K. Mike, it did happen!
Good work, hope you can get it up and running.
Not much work needed on the dial!

Hey, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm sure I can see a relief map of the Southern U.S., Central America and the north of the South American Continent on your dial...

IHC Member 1016
posted
Follow the Amazon River to the 3 O'clock position on the East coast!
I tried it but no success. I have no experience with WW repair but I think I'll put this one on e bay as a project and move on. Maybe someone here wants it.